speakers to go with my pioneer vsx-D912K

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GlenRF, Jul 1, 2003.

1. GlenRF

GlenRF Agent

I was wondering what would be some good speakers go with my reciever ( pioneer VSX-D912K ) I was thinking JBL or whatever you guys would suggest I cant spend over $600 dollars. thanks for you insight.

Glen

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This really ought to be in the speaker's area, but are you looking for 2 or 5 or....

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Glen

If the Amp Section is similar to the previous VSX-D811 (I do NOT know if this is in fact the case), I would tend to stick with "8-ohm speakers", especially if doing 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1.... This, if you plan to use the 912's own internal amps to drive your speaks.
    I also would consider an efficient speaker, 90db or better!

Others may comment on the 912's Amp Section "Strength" that may currently have it up and running.

It was unfortunately the weakest point of the older 811 which actually did (test out at 73-watts a channel into 8-ohms all channels driven @ 0.8 thd, ~{"but it was called lifeless power"}~ The 811 offered allot of bang for the buck except for this.
    Remedy easily with external amplification if one cared to do so. 2-channel definitely required this, but 5.1 etc, it dose fairly well.

Athena speakers (carried now at Best-Buy), may be something you might look into. Well rated at their price point and efficient speakers also.

The 912 being relatively new, not allot of owner/user info is out yet. The weakness of the 811's amps (MAY NOT) be a problem with the 912k, this would certainly open up allot more speaker brands/models to look into without worrying about Amp shutdown that plagued the 811.

Regards
    Geoff

4. GlenRF

GlenRF Agent

thanks Geoff for your insight on this if I were to get a external amp what would be a nice for the under $800 range.

Thanks Glen

5. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

GlenRF,

How many speakers do you need? How big is your room. Do you need a sub as well? JBL's would be fine, as well as many others. Your budget, room size and the number of speakers needed will help others in providing suggestions.

I've setup a 912k in a bedroom system. It's a nice receiver for the price. The speakers connected to it are Acoustic Research HC6's. Not the most sensitive speakers at 86db, but the pioneer doesn't seem to have a problem driving them.

There are numerous amps in the $800.00 range especially if your willing to buy used, but you need to determine how many channels you need plus power requirements, which coincide with your speakers and room size.

I'd suggest you get your speakers first connect them to the pioneer and then decide whether or not you need an external amp right away.

6. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I suggest something fairly sensitive, but the Pio shouldn't have much trouble anyway. If you are looking at the $600 range, then you might want to look at some of last years Klipsch models, like the SB3. I have some Polk R series and I love them. I have R30's up front and R15's in the rear with a CSi30 in the center. Only cost me about $400, that leaves you $200 to put towards a good sub. Of course the JBL NSP is a nice package, which can be found for next to nothing on the net, but it really depends on what you are looking for. I suggest auditioning anything and everything, good sound is very very hard for one person to describe to another, you just have to hear it!

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

No question if running external amplification it should/will provide a higher quality sound, this given you purchased good new/used amplification....

BUT, at the same time I tend to agree with Kevin in finding speakers that you like and also fit your budget, then try them out with the 912's own amps.
    It may do just fine for your needs.

Would make more sense to approach it this way as external amping certainly is a big plus & $$$ too, but will you need it is the question.

With all the new speaker models coming out as of late, many brands have excellent pricing right now as some have mentioned already.
    When demoing speaks try to use a 912k receiver or at least something similar to it, this to get a better idea of what they may sound like with your own 912.

Bring some demo CD's, DVD's your very familiar with, this can help you in hearing differences in speaks and making a choice.

The new Pioneer VSX-D912k is getting allot of bandwidth over at www.AVSforum.com with it's 15-page on going thread. You might want to check it out.

Regards
    Geoff

8. GlenRF

GlenRF Agent

thanks for all your help fellas I am heading out today to demo some speakers at a local home theater shop.

Glen

9. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

I put some JBL NSP IIs on my dad's new setup using the 912 and I have to tell you that it sounds mighty nice!!

The NSP IIs can be seen/heard at Best Buy but do not buy them there as they want $399 for the 5 speaker set. You can get these set for $200 from several online shops.

I would also recommend you take a look at a new offering from AV123 (check their forum as its not on the site). Its called the ELT and looks to be a real winner (only problem is it may be a little more than you want to spend).

Good Luck with your search.

Greg