Speakers to go with H/K receiver

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg_sford, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    building a new HT, and like the value of the refurb HK 325. What are good (or poor) speaker choices to match? Small room (15x11), probably 1/3 music, 2/3 HT. Thanks!

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I've used both NHT SuperOnes and Athena AS-B1's, both to good effect. I think the NHT's were better for music, they were leaner and more controlled whereas the Athena's are brighter and a good bit more dynamic. I don't know how another amp would compare, though, so I'm sorry if this doesn't help too much.

I do know the AVR opened up a bit since the addition of the higher sensitivity Athenas, and believe it to be a good match. I wish they imaged as well as the NHT's, but I haven't really messed with placement yet.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

As with all speaker choice decisions, only your ears can judge the sound that you'll like most. The receiver is going to influence the sound a litte too, but not as much as the speakers will. The H/K is a good receiver. Technically speaking, it will drive a good many speakers. Which ones are up to your ears to decide.

4. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    Thanks Drew (and Colin). Hoping to narrow down the options a little. Easy to hear Boston Acoustics, DefTech, B&W, Mirage, Polk. Klipsch, and Infinity are difficult ([​IMG] to big box stores!), Paradigm and many others would require a bit of travel.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Infinity and JBL are owned by Harman Audio which, obviously owns H/K too. It's fair to assume they use their own equipment to design speakers.

What's your budget for all of this?

6. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I always recommend Klipsch. I for one love the horns over the cones...just me though. I have had my KLF 30's (I also have KLF 20's and 10's as rear and rear center as well as a matching center!) since 1997 or so and don't see myself upgrfading for a long, long time. I do not think they make the Legend series anymore, but I love Klipsch.

7. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

greg:

I have a similiar H/K refurbed (AVR 225) and it powers my B&W 600 series (DM602 S3 mains, DM601 S3 Surrounds, LCR60 center, hsu STF-2 subwoofer). They sound beautiful, while in a small room with horrible acoustics (16x11.5x8 with an odd dining area opening up several feet to one corner, no doors, etc. etc.).

The only regret i have with the receiver is my lack of future thought with it. Because of its lack of preamp outs and componant switching. Ofcourse, after the huge sums ive spent on just getting this far, i do not see myself upgrading to what i think the B&Ws would like best (rotel amp) before i upgrade my TV, which in it of itself will take a while. It's not that the power of the HK is not enough -- its plenty loud with no distortion i can detect, i'd just like to get the proper match for my babies [​IMG]

Overall the refurbs are good, though i regret to inform you i dont have mine, as i had to return it because of video switching errors on it (any kind of vibrations, even those from high frequencies) would cause the video to shake out and eventually cut out. Also had some OSD issues.

The return policy was great, being w/ in the 30 days for an even exchange, with HK covering my shipment fees, and i expect a new one from them in the coming week(s).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

8. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    thanks for the input.

Budget: a little hard to say. I priced out a system with a Yamaha 1400 and B&W speakers - 603 fronts, the lcr60 center, and vm1 surrouds. I really like everything about this set up, but kind of choked on the $2600+ number. That led me to the H/K refurb. Less than $400, compared to $800 for the 1400, and as best as I can tell the only thing I lose is the video upconversion (and if all I'm running is a dvd with component, I don't know that I'm missing anything). I figure a decent sub will be $400+. I'd probably like to do the 5. surrounds for around $1200.

So it becomes a case of where do I reach diminishing returns?

I like the sound of both B&W and Bostons with the Yamaha. Just curious what folks think of these with the H/K, and if there are others I should consider.

Thanks for the suggestions - this is a great site!

9. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg
    post-holiday bump - any other thoughts? I've seen a lot of positive thoughts on the Energy line of loudspeakers. Any HK / Energy combos out there?

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Indeed. I ran a Take 5.2 setup with a 225 and it was great. Granted if you want to use these at good levels you'll have to have a smaller room, but as such, the sound was quite good. (I've since upgraded though [​IMG])

11. RobertCortez

RobertCortez Auditioning

I have an H/K 325 powering 4 JBL S36II, 1 JBL S-Center, and a HSU VTF-2 sub...all I can say is sweetness!!

12. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I would definitely take a look at the ELT package that www.av123.com is selling for $999.00. This might be a little harder to demo but it would be worth the trouble IMO. You could check out www.audioevny.com or post on AV123 forum that you are looking for a demo and I'm sure that people would be more than happy to show you what the ELT brings to the table. Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]