What's new

Speakers to complement Denon2200 DVD and Denon3803 Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All!
I am in the process of building my first 'home theater' setup! So far, I have purchased the following:
-Denon 2200 DVD Player
-Denon 3803 Receiver
-Toshiba 57H82 TV

Now I need to purchase some speakers! Currently, I live in a townhouse so a Subwoofer is not one of my primary concerns at this moment. I am more concerned about getting at least a 5.1 setup up and running (then upgrade to 7.1 in the near future).

Can someone recommend some speakers that I might be interested in? At this moment, I do not have a budget set in stone (for 4-5 speakers, I would like to spend around 1-2k...depending if this is relistic and if I can get some good speakers for this price).

edit: I know I am going to have to hear these speakers firsthand before I purchase them; however, I have no idea where to start or what brand would be good.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
There are several good internet brand speakers that give you alot more for the money but you have to be willing to take the time and research (use the search features) on this and other forums like avs.com. Rocket or Ref's from Onix are what I like, other here love their Axioms. Trust me from one who has had 5 different brands of speakers over the last 10 years.... Take the time to check out alot of speakers and dont forget the internet direct companies. You will get alot more for your dollar.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Polk RTi
Rocket
Ascend
Axiom

Subs: SVS, Velodyne, Acoustic Visions, Stryke Audio, R.A.D.

Interconnects: Signal Cable, Better Cables, Blue Jean

Nice rig, BTW - should make a GREAT base for a stellar HT set-up. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Guys, thanks for the information (and thanks for the compliment on my system). I was able to get the items I have at a very affordable price!
-520.00 for the denon 2200 from ABT Electronics(I talked them down from 600)
-699.00 for the denon 3803 from 6ave (got in on that deal; they raised the price from 640 to 699).

I guess my question is what type of speakers, typically, comprise a 5.1 (and in the future, a 7.1) system? I do not want towers in the back, correct? I want 'small' speakers for the back and sides, correct? And larger ones for the front, correct? Can someone give me some links/pics of their setup?

I really appreciate the help. Everyone have a lovely christmas!

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chad, I got B&W 603's (front), 601's (rear), and the LCR 600 (center). They ran just under $2K. I have a Denon 3802 and love the match between it and the speakers. Although after finding this cursed forum I have this annoying little voice whispering to me. It keeps saying Rotel separates ;). I also live in a town home so I bypassed the sub for now. The 603's do a great job up front. Just try as many different speakers that you can. If you look through this forum you will see some names over and over again (Paradigm, Axiom, Rockets, Klipsch, etc). I listened to the Paradigm Monitors and was all set to buy them until I had the B&W audition. For some people its the other way around though. It just depends on your tastes.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Here would be a very nice Rocket 7.1 package:

2 RS550 (L/R mains)
1 RSC 200 (center)
2 RSS 300 (L/R side surrounds)
2 RS150 (rear surrounds)

Set them all to small at 80 Hz with a great sub and you've got a killer HT system.

Follow this lead regarding size/speaker configuration for the other brands mentioned above and you'll be in the right ballpark.

AndrewRose

Auditioning
my axioms sound better then anything i heard in multiple stores i went too. very good speakers for the price.

But all the internet speaker companies should be good. Think about it logically-in order to earn a reputation and become notable your product must be good, otherwise no one will recomend it, and therefore no one will have heard of it in the first place. By having happy customers, you gain a reputation, which grows and grows if the products are good.

i highly reccomend the axioms. also, try audioenvy to try and find someone who might let you come to their place and let you listen to their speakers. (rockets i believe)
at axiomaudio.com there is a thread there where you can find someone close to you who will let you listen to their speakers

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Klipsch reference series speakers mate with Denon receivers quite well. You might need to audition Klipsch to see if you enjoy the sound of horns. Some folks complain that they are too harsh....but they are probably not using a Denon receiver! ;)

Personally I use the 3803/2200/380 trio and HT/Music playback is simply amazing. Klipsch can be purchased from 6ave.com and hookedontronics.com if you want to shop over the internet.

Feel free to check my sig for complete specs.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks so much for the wonderful input! I am going to go through each of your posts and create a nice list! Thanks, and if anyone else has anything to add, please do!

On a side note: John, what exactly is a line conditioner? I noticed it on your website (great job on the site/HT too!)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Chad,

I have a Denon AVR 2803 and the DVD 2200. I'm using the NHT superones up front with the matching super center, and superzeroes for the rears (5.1) along with a NHT sub. If you have a NHT dealer nearby, they certainly would be worth a listen, IMO.

Depending on what your HT vs. 2 channel ratios are, you may not need/want towers up front.

Good luck and have fun.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, dan. I am going to have to do some research and see what is all near me. I live relatively close to DC, so I can only imagine there are a lot of shops nearby.

Does anyone have any books they would recommend for HT Information/setups? I need to learn a lot and I dont want to keep pestering everyone with silly questions (such as wiring, positioning, etc).

Take care everyone.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the links, dan and john. The current price range is around 1-2k; however, there may be room for expand that range (this price range is just for a 5.1 setup, without a sub).

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
I am now researching the prices of some of the speakers everyone suggested. Exactly where should I look online to get some prices (not MSRP prices):

1.Rocket Speakers
2.Axiom Speakers
3.B&W Speakers
4.Klipsch Speakers

I am willing to purchase the speakers online somewhere. Are there any online places I can get a good deal, etc? Any information would be great. I know this is pretty broad, but as of right now, my options are pretty broad and I would like to eliminate a few (based on price, availability, etc).

Take care everyone.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rocket by Onyx are at www.av123.com and Axiom are internet direct sellers. A few stores here and there may carry them, but that is very rare, so the online prices are what you get. Value for what you get is better than what you will typically find in stores for the same price. You should probably add Ascend to your list, IMO. :)

B&W you can find a dealer via their website at www.bwspeakers.com but you will not find pricing (normal for most manufacturers). Find a local dealer and ask for pricing.

I'm not a fan of Klipsch, but a lot of people like them.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Guys:
I just wanted to update everyone and get a little bit more feedback. I just went to one of the local HT stores and listened to the B&W 603's. I liked them a lot, but I think the sounds were a bit 'dull' for me (not sure if that is the best way to describe it).

I suppose I am the type of guy that likes 'sharp' sound. For instance, in my car I like to have the treble turned up fairly high (note: my HT is going to be used mainly for movies; however, i thought the car radio thing might help define how I like my sound).

Taking this into consideration, can someone offer some advise to as which type of speaker I might like?

Have a nice night everyone.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
hmm if the B&W's sounded dull to you(normally people associate them with being very open and bright) I would try Klipsch. Not very familiar with them so some Klipsch people may want to chime in here.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Mark:
Maybe it was because of all the noise in the soundroom. There were a few others in there and the guy kept the speakers quite low. I suppose I should head back again and make sure I ask some questions (I am one of those, well, shy type that is afraid to ask questions :frowning: ).

On another note, if I were to get axiom speakers, what speakers would complement the M60ti front speakers? Would the best combo be:
-M60ti front speakers
-VP150 center speakers
and
???? l/r side surround speakers

I am assuming I would want to get the QS8 side surrounds, correct? I am just trying to gather some set-ups together so I can put them in a spreadsheet for viewing(also for pricing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks