Speakers through Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter L, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Peter L

Peter L Extra

Hi, need some advice from everyone please.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of connecting main speakers through the subwoofer? do most people do it?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    if your sub has a built-in crossover and you use bookshelf or non-full range speakers, i say go for it! unless you use something cool like the Outlaw ICBM, you need to route all bass to the sub. most receivers nowdays have a choice for a high/low crossover signal, but i think routing the speakers thru the sub is better. i ran my JBL N24's thru my old 25-31PC and used the crossover in the PC amp to manage the 2-channel bass.

only disadvantage i can think of is that you'll use more speaker wire. i say go for it, especially if you have small bookshelf speakers.

3. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

4. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

It depends, if you're using the sub and speakers for home theater then I'd stay away from using that solution. You will be missing out on the dedicated LFE channel unless your receiver has provisions to send the LFE back through your mains in lieu of a sub.
    The optimal solution for HT is to connect your sub via the LFE preamp out on your receiver and then use the receivers bass management to filter out the low frequencies from your mains (and surrounds and center if you'd like) and send it to your sub.
    However if you're talking about just a stereo setup the connection method you talked about should work just fine.
    -Aaron