speakers that are not loud ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by sam_sark, Jul 7, 2003.

1. sam_sark

sam_sark Extra

heard a few speakers of tannoy(mercury),paradigm(phantom),energy(conn..) and B&W(600 series)...don't know if it is only me but B&W sounds sweeter and not really loud...has someone else felt that too or are my ears playing tricks on me ! i am basically looking for speakers which give sweet and not too loud sound...i listen to slow music and don't really like the loud music variety too much..any suggestions ??

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I could be wrong, but I think you may have a few of your terms mixed up. Sweet is not a description used much to describe how speakers sound, unless you are referring to the "sweet spot" which every speaker has. I am guessing you mean laid back or warm when you say sweet and that loud equals bright or forward. In that case, it seems as thought you like a warm sound. B&W is a great speaker for that type of sound and you will also get advice to check out the Rockets, which some say compare with the B&W's. I am sure other people will chime in with their opinions on different speakers.

3. sam_sark

sam_sark Extra

my apologies for not getting the terms correct....yes i meant i like 'warm sound' & not 'bright'.
    tx

4. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Sam, you are describing the Onix "Rocket" line! Check them out at www.av123.com. Wonderful HT speakers, beautiful looks, and great value from a great company! To hear them, go to www.audioenvy.com since they are internet-only. No B&M stores. Photos in my sig file too.

Gordon

5. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

get yourself a pair of Studio 100's with a 300-400 watt amp bi-amped and you'll have a new definition of loud.

6. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

If you like a warm speaker with a great midrange try Opera speakers.

7. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Spendor, Harbeth, JM Reynaud, Audio Note.

All very nice warm musical speaker lines that are designed to not blow the house down with high SPL levels.