What's new

Speakers - temperature tolerances? (1 Viewer)

Mike_N

Auditioning
We had a bad ice storm and lost power for about 4 days. It got down to at least 38 degrees inside the house, possibly lower.

Does anyone know if temperatures like this could harm speakers?

What about other components like receiver, tv, etc???

Haven't tried out the receiver and speakers yet.

I glanced at a couple of manuals, but couldn't find any info.

Thanks for any answers.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
hmm, interesting question. I have no idea really, I wouldn't really think so, BUT I do know that tweeters with ferro-fluid can congeal a little, so I read, I can't remember where, that you should let them warm to room temperature before using them. Come to think of it i think it was in one of paradigm's little manuals. Still, I wouldn't think 38F would hurt anything.

Andrew Walbert

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that if the drivers are operated at low temperatures like that, they can be damaged because their voice coils won't be able to move as easily. If you allow them to warm up a bit first, I don't think there will be a problem. I would think that operating the speakers at low volume levels would be OK, because it wouldn't push them to their excursion limits or anything. I ran the stereo in my car (see details below) at reasonable volume levels immediately after turning it on after the snow storm came through and dumped about 10" of snow on everything. Didn't hear any distortion or anything.

Car Stereo Specs:
Head Unit: Rockford Fosgate RFX-9000
Sub/Amp: JBL BP300.1 ==> JL Audio 12W7 (1)
Fronts/Amp: Eclipse 33250 ==> MB Quart DSD-313

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
When I was the owner of a pair of Paradigm MiniMonitors, I remember there was a section in the owner's manual regarding the situation described. Since I no longer have the manual, perhaps a Paradigm owner can check if that particular section is still in the manual.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Here's the quote from the Paradigm manual that came with my V.2 titans.
"Paradigm high-frequency drivers use ferrofluid that can thicken at temperatures below 10 C (50 F). If your speakers have been transported or stored in the cold, let them warm to room temperature before use."
Not that that really applies to your exact question, but there it is. I wouldn't think that extreme heat or cold would be good for any electronic component or speaker, but who knows. Maybe that'll be the next big audiophile thing, to sit out in the snow to listen, because the colder air alters the dispersion characteristics of the speaker grill. :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, I e-mailed Energy regarding temperature in the other extreme affecting speakers. My e-mail....
We do tests for things like that - we sell our speakers in many different countries, much hotter than 90 degrees. Don't be concerned.
Not exactly your situation, but I guess speaker manufacturers do consider the variations in temparatures of different markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks