Speakers suggestions to go with an Onkyo 696

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_I, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I am hoping to spend around 1k (looks like it will cost me more though) for a speaker set up for my Onkyo 696.
    So far, I am leaning towards the Boston Acoustics 10k series with the PV800 sub, but I would like some more suggestions. These are a little heavy on price since most of the dealers try to stay at MSRP...
    Thanks everyone.

2. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I suggest you take a look at PSB Image speakers . I have an Onkyo 696 and these speakers sound fantasic with it. They are very efficient (91-92db) and have a wide, clear soundstage.
    You could get one of the following combinations for about $1K:
    3LR / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
    4T / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
    1B /8C / 1B / Adire Audio Rava subwoofer
    If you have an old reciever that you could use as an amp, you could get an SVS Subwoofer (25-31CS or 20-39CS) instead of the Adire Audio Rava.
    I'm not sure if you have a PSB dealer in your area, but you can check here .
    David

3. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion David.. I'll look into them.
    Anyone else?.. Trying to keep it under 1k if poss... [​IMG]

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

A $1K limit restricts your choices quite a bit, but there are several options. The Bostons you mentioned are pretty nice in that price range. You might also take a look at a couple of Paradigm configurations. I am sure you could get 4 Atoms, a CC-70 and a PDR-10 for under $1K.
    Another option would be to get a pair of decent bookeshelf speakers now, with the intention of later moving them to the rear, when you can afford a better set of front speakers. Perhaps a pair of Monitor 3's and maybe a CC-370 center? Later, you could get a pari of Monitor 9's for fronts, move the M-3's to the rear and add a sub. That would give you a much better speaker system in the long run. Of course, the same strategy is valid for other manufacturers.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Save another $100 or so and get the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub.
    You could go with wood nOrh 4.0 mains and center and 3.0 surrounds with an Adire Audio Rava sub. That should run you just over $1,000.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

After hearing them at a friend's house, I think Home Theater Direct's level 3 speakers are outstanding. Check them out at www.hometheaterdirect.com and the reviews at www.cheaphometheater.com and www.audioreview.com. You can get Combo Y (tower mains, bookshelf surrounds, center and sub) for just a hair over $1k shipped. Or, you could just get the speakers with no sub and then get an SVS later.