1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers suggestions to go with an Onkyo 696

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_I, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I am hoping to spend around 1k (looks like it will cost me more though) for a speaker set up for my Onkyo 696.
    So far, I am leaning towards the Boston Acoustics 10k series with the PV800 sub, but I would like some more suggestions. These are a little heavy on price since most of the dealers try to stay at MSRP...
    Thanks everyone.

2. David Head

David Head Second Unit

I suggest you take a look at PSB Image speakers . I have an Onkyo 696 and these speakers sound fantasic with it. They are very efficient (91-92db) and have a wide, clear soundstage.
    You could get one of the following combinations for about $1K:
    3LR / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
    4T / 8C / 1B / Sony SAW-M40 subwoofer
    1B /8C / 1B / Adire Audio Rava subwoofer
    If you have an old reciever that you could use as an amp, you could get an SVS Subwoofer (25-31CS or 20-39CS) instead of the Adire Audio Rava.
    I'm not sure if you have a PSB dealer in your area, but you can check here .
    David

3. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion David.. I'll look into them.
    Anyone else?.. Trying to keep it under 1k if poss... [​IMG]

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

A $1K limit restricts your choices quite a bit, but there are several options. The Bostons you mentioned are pretty nice in that price range. You might also take a look at a couple of Paradigm configurations. I am sure you could get 4 Atoms, a CC-70 and a PDR-10 for under $1K.
    Another option would be to get a pair of decent bookeshelf speakers now, with the intention of later moving them to the rear, when you can afford a better set of front speakers. Perhaps a pair of Monitor 3's and maybe a CC-370 center? Later, you could get a pari of Monitor 9's for fronts, move the M-3's to the rear and add a sub. That would give you a much better speaker system in the long run. Of course, the same strategy is valid for other manufacturers.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Save another $100 or so and get the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub.
    You could go with wood nOrh 4.0 mains and center and 3.0 surrounds with an Adire Audio Rava sub. That should run you just over $1,000.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

After hearing them at a friend's house, I think Home Theater Direct's level 3 speakers are outstanding. Check them out at www.hometheaterdirect.com and the reviews at www.cheaphometheater.com and www.audioreview.com. You can get Combo Y (tower mains, bookshelf surrounds, center and sub) for just a hair over $1k shipped. Or, you could just get the speakers with no sub and then get an SVS later.