Speakers suggestion

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Huy T, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Huy T

Huy T Auditioning

My current setup consist of:
    Polk Audio RM7600 home theater system driven by a Denon AVR-1804. I would like to upgrade to Polk's new RTI series. [Center=CSi5 Front=RTi12 Rear=FXi5] or [Center=CSi5 Front=RTi8 Rear=FXi5 Sub=PSW505]. Which setup would you guys recommend to use with my current receiver. I'm very tempted to buy the RTi12, which only cost me about $1000 for everything, including the center and the surrounds. If i go with RTi8, i would save $200. I won't be upgrading to a new receiver soon. Should i just buy the 12s just for the heck of it?

AVR-1804 Specification:
    Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver • Dolby Digital, including Surround Ex decoding • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS ES Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Analog Devices Melody 32-bit Fixed Point DSP processor • 6 Channels equal power amplifier section • 90 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

2. Dennis Gonzales

Huy T, I am tempted to buy the Polk RTi12 as well. After reading about it, I think they are really good speakers. But I would really want to hear them first before I buy. I live in B.C., Canada and there is not many stores here that sell Polks. You said you can get the Rti12s with the matching center and surrounds for $1000USD? Do mind sharing with me where you got that price? I am very interested!!

Thanks,

Dennis

3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Matching the performance levels of your equipment will get you the best value and sound combo most of the time.

The 8s match your current receiver better than the 12s.

The 12s may be too much speaker for your Denon and may sound thin with those 3 7" woofers pulling all the power your Denon has to offer. Many have had shutdown isues with entry-mid level receivers trying to drive Polk's RTi150s that the 12s are meant to replace. Most say the 150s don't open up until pushed with 200wpc or more.

If I was looking at what you have and knowing how the upgrade bug bites often, I would take this approach.

The Denon is a nice processor, but can use better amps for
    the mains and center channels. I would purchase the Polk 12s if that is the speaker that I truly want to end up with and add a great used 200-250 watt amp when money allows. This will get you an awesome sound that won't need upgrading for some time. Realize that the front 3 channels along with a great sub make huge difference in home theater. You are also setting yourself up for a killer 2 channel experience for music with the 12s and big amp.

I suggest this route of purchase based on my recent upgrade issues with my theater, going through 3 sets of Polks (started with 7300s similar to your situation)and 2 receivers on the way to having what I really wanted.

If you are sure you won't want to upgrade in the next couple years, I would then buy the 8s to match your receiver and call it good. Save the money and enjoy the matched level of your components.

If this is confusing, refer to my first statement and match your components.

Dennis G.

4. Dennis Gonzales

Dennis Gardner, I'm planning to get the Onkyo TX-DS989Ver2 H.T. reciever. Do you think this unit has enough power to decently run the Polk RTi12 with matching center and surround speakers? Also, are these speakers a good match with the Onkyo reciever? I would listen to music and watch movies about 50/50. And not really pump up the volume because we live in a condo as of now. Hope you can help...

Thanks,

Dennis

5. Dennis Gardner

The 989 is a top notch receiver and should push the 12s in your condo pretty well. This receiver will have much more build quality in the amp section than the 1804 referred to above. You may be a bit shy on bass when really driving them, since the 3 woofers equal the same area that a 12 inch woofer has and will take most of your receiver power at volume. The 12s are rated to handle 500 watts which is quite alot. You still have the option of adding an external amp later. Don't forget that seperates do sound better than most receivers, and using your Onk for a pre-pro would be the next upgrade step when more power is required.

Go for it,

DG

6. Huy T

Huy T Auditioning

First of all, i like to thanks anyone who reply to this thread. It seems that will be upgrading my receiver soon to Yamaha rxv-1400 rated at 110w x 7, i will also add two Outlaw's Model 200 M-Block Amplifiers to drive the 12s. What do you guys think of Outlaw's amplifier, or are there any others alternative around the price range of $500-$600? Hey Dennis Gonzales, if you know anyone that work at Circuit City, you can get audio equipments at a really cheap price.

7. Dennis Gardner

Enjoy Huy!

It is always nice to get a new HT piece. Just makes working for a living all that much more enjoyable.

8. Dennis Gonzales

Thank you Dennis and Huy for the info! Now I will hunt for the deals and steals on these HT components... Any suggestions?

Dennis Gonzales

9. Brent_j

Brent_j Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased all new Polk's for my HT. I was going to get the RTi12's but decided on the RTi10's. I was also battling between the FXi5 and the FXi3, I went with the 3's because I could not find any need spending an extra $200 for the 6 1/2" driver over the 5 1/4" driver.

thats my .02 cents.

Yamaha RX-V2400
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Fronts: Polk RTi10's
    surrounds: Polk FXi3's bi-pole/di-pole
    Subs: Polk PSW404 x2
    All this = a fantastic HT and I think the RTi10's really shine on all music.