Speakers & Sub for Bedroom Theater

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt_Marlow, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I have a 10' X 15' room with a projector (Infocus X1) and screen set up. Now I need speakers and a sub. In keeping with my cheap bang-for-the-buck projector, I'd like some decent, but cheap speakers. And I'd prefer to order the speakers and sub online. (Receiver recommendations would be nice too). I do have some experience with home audio. A couple years ago I setup my living room theater with a 65" HDTV and a Denon receiver (3300) and Paradigm speakers (monitor series) and sub (PS1200). But I just don't want to spend that much this time around.

I just need something decent,and would like to keep the cost of speakers, sub and receiver under $1,000 and possibly just order online.

What would you recommend in this situation? The room is conpletely enclosed and I sit about 13' from my 100" screen. So what's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks a lot!

2. StephenWE

StephenWE Agent

Try Fluance or Onkyo.

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

If you like Paradigm, you could probably spend $700 on 5 speakers and a sub and get a Denon receiver for $300 online somewhere.

DVD player?

4. Matt_Marlow

Matt_Marlow Stunt Coordinator

I've sort of been thinking about some Paradigm performance series speakers.
    I looked at the Fluance speakers, and was stunned to see a 5-speaker setup for $199. They look really nice for that price. http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
    As for receivers, yeah I'll most likely go with Denon or Onkyo. I have the DVD player already, a progressive scan Panasonic.
    I did a little more research and have read some good things about Dayton subs being good for their price.

5. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

Another nice combo is the JBL NSP1II speaker set and the Dayton 10" powered subwoofer. That right there is under $400. A decent $200-$300 receiver will handle the JBL's nicely.