Speakers, Speaker Stands, and Calibration discs...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ooten, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

I'm in the process of setting up my HT. I've gotten Axiom Mti22's for my rears, so I'm currently searching for good stands to place them on. What height should be best? Should the top of the stand be slanted forward? Where are some good places to look for stands?

When I set up my rear speakers, should they mimic my fronts in placement, meaning should they point slightly inward toward the middle of the room, or should they be pointed directly at one another. I ask this because some pics of seen of have the two rears pointed directly at each other.

Where in the world can I buy a calibration disc? I've searched the net over and over, but I've found nothing.

Thanks!!

Brian

2. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

Im not familiar with the Axioms, but most speakers suggest where to place them. Many options show the speakers just above the listening position mounted on the side walls at the rear of the room pointing at one another.
    www.dolby.com FAQ answers many of the rear speaker placement questions as well. (I should know, i am going through the same thing right now.)[​IMG]
    As for tilting the surround speakers, from what i have read for home theater you dont want to tilt them towards the listener, the idea of surround, is to NOT know where the sound is originating.
    I bought my Avia Calib. Disk from www.dvdexpress.com check them out.
    HTH.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hi Brian, welcome to the forum (the greatest source of home theatre related knowledge on the net).

First of all, when placing bookshelf/smaller speakers on stands, I suggest getting stands that will raise the speaker to a height that puts the tweeters close to ear level.

4. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

Thanks for the feedback, its very much appreciated. I chose the M22's over dipoles because the timbre was a better match for me, but now I'm wondering if dipoles wouldn't have been the more effective choice. My only problem is I have a sectional in the middle of the room, and I'm not real sure how the back of the sectional will affect the rear speakers(height).