Speakers set to Large or Small with NO SUB

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin. W, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Couple days ago I put togther my new Paradigm Setup consisting of Studio 40v3, 20v3 and CC470v3. For a while I will be without a sub, so should I set my speakers to Large all around or Large L+R and Small for Center and rears. Speakers are powered by a Marantz AV560U/Rotel RMB-1095 combo. Thanks.

Kevin

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Hard to say, you're best bet is trying each to see. I would be careful with the volume though, because don't the 40s work in a 2.5 fasion(im assuming this stays the same on the V3s)? This means the mid/bass driver is also getting ALL the bass, with the bass driver helping out on the lowest stuff, so you have to think as if they were 20s up there. They can dish out a good deal of bass, but i wouldn't, say run LOTR or bass-heavy scenes at reference you could quite easily bottom things out. Since they all pretty much have the same limitations, I'd set them all large, and just be careful with the volume. If it's still problematic, i might even set everything small on some movies, and lose the LFE completely, just keeping whatever bass in the mains.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Since you're Studio 40's are the most bass capable speakers, I'd set them to large and the rest to small.