What's new

Speakers positive and negative (1 Viewer)

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
I'm replacing two EMIT-R Infinity tweeters (discontinued from Infinity) with two reference Parts Express tweeters. These are in two Infinity Cresscendo series towers. The size of the wires going to the tweeters have two different size spades as do the tabs on the old tweeters. One is much narrower or thinner than the other one. My question is; Which one is positive and which one is negative? Is there a convention that is used to be able to tell the narrow tab from the wide one in regard to polarity? With larger drivers I understand you can hear the difference. Can you tell the difference with tweeters as to phase?

The old tweeters are not marked positive of negative. The new ones are marked.

Help!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, polarity makdes a difference on each and every speaker. It also makes a difference that you match impedance, frequency response and sensitivity when changing drivers. Just swapping older tweeters for newer ones does not always guarantee an improvement in sound quality.

-Robert

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
The tweeters are "blown" and Infinity no longer has the replacements.

How about the polarity as to which tab on the tweeter would accept the narrower spade/lug?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try it both ways and see which one sounds better. Make both speakers are wired the same during testing.

-Robert

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Upon further inspection the thinner spade wire had a faint black stripe through it and I went with the original replacement EMIT-R tweeters which made it a moot point.

For future reference if there is a thin and a wide set of terminals the thin ones should be the negative ones.

Thanks for helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks