What's new

Speakers, Placement & Wires (1 Viewer)

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I received my JBL NSP-1 speaker set and my Kenwood VR-507 receiver the other day. I'm going to be ordering all the cables I'll need to connect everything. BTW, I've decided to go with direct wiring.

My center speaker is going to sit on top of the TV. I've read about tilting it down a bit so it's not going over your head. I've also read that the fronts should be ear level. Should they angle in at all, or fire straight out? I'm not sure what to do with the rears. Should they go 2-3' above the head, or ear level like the fronts? How much extra wire should I leave for each speaker?

One other thing I haven't decided on is how I'm going to attach my wires to the walls. I'm not doing anything fancy. I'm just going to run them up along the corner on the outside of the wall.

Any suggestions for any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

There is no reason to tilt the front L/R speakers (or any others, for that matter) unless the tweeter is above or below ear level at their normal positions.

If your rear speakers are di- or bipolar, a position on the side walls slightly to the rear of the seating position is usually recommended. The 2-3 ft. above ear level you mentioned would work nicely. Typically these speakers are not tilted

If the rears are of the direct radiating variety you should tilt them if they are above ear level, as with the fronts.

Everyone has their own preference for rear speaker type and placement. Personally, I like my direct radiators behind the seating position at least 8ft. high and angled. This gives more distance to the listener and allows the sound to disperse before it reaches the ear.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For the L/R speakers, some people like them toed in so the sound wave intersects about 1 foot in front of the primary listening position. This is a typical music alignment. But some people prefer the focus to be exactly on the center, but my speakers intersect about a foot behind the central position. You just have to try all 3 and decide for yourself. A laser pointer is a nice tool for this.

Generally the center speaker on top of the TV puts the tweeter higher than the L/R so rubber door wedges do 2 things: give you feet and tilt to compensate. Pulling the center speaker so it over-hangs the TV about 1/4 inch is another good thing to do.

The rears are controversial. I prefer all the tweeters to be at the same height. Dolby pushes for the 2-3 feet above ear level while sitting. Play with both and decide for yourself.

Good Luck.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
OK here are my 2 cents....

Since most movies use DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or so...it makes no sense to set your rear speakers (I dont call them surrounds) any higher than your front speakers otherwise pans will be severly hampered as well as the ability to pin point any sound location. Now if I could I will have a pair of sorround speakers at higher than ear level for use with Dolby Surround movies and then my regular rear speakers for the regular 5.1 movies. Also, don't place your rear speakers right to the sides of the listening position as some diagrams suggest. I am trying to find the info regarding the angles to use for front and rears to help you but can't find it right now. I'll post it ASAP.

Regards

Charles L.

Agent
Steve

the main speakers tweeters should be at hear level from your listening position. when placing the center channel keep its tweeters with in 12 inches of the mains. titling the center channel can help compensate. When you place it on your tv try to keep it forward so that the sound doesn't reflect off the top.

1. Good stereo imagining on the mains. measure the distance from the main seating position to the tv. put your mains this far a part. This should form an equillatteral triangle. Toe the speakers in so that each one points directly at the main listening area. Good stereo imagining is esential. If done right try listening with out a center channel. the dialogue should sound like its coming from the tv even though theres no speaker there. This is just the basic idea. This is where I start although there are a lot of variables, type of speakers, room diminsions, furnishings, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks