speakers or receiver which one first?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kishore C, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Kishore C

Kishore C Auditioning

Hi Folks,

I am in the process of building my first home theater system. Here I am with a $2500 budget for it. At the very first instinct, after going through lots of material on this forum and else on the web, I thought of buying

Denon AVR-4802 (e-tailers $1750 - $1900 ). But I also wanted to fit 5.1 speaker/sub into this budget. After doing window-shoppping I am thought of buying only 2 speakers for now.

But a friendly guy in a local store convinced me today to go for the Definitive 5 speakers ($2200 )and Denon AVR-3802 ($700). Which exceeds my budget. And later( he says I can live with my 29" Magnavox for a while) when I feel the clarity is not enough for our ears I can upgrade/buy flagship of Denon.

Which one do you people think is a better and practical solution.

I want your opinion about Denon receiver and Definitive speakers/sub. I live in New England so any suggested stores I'll go check them.

Thanks in advance,

-Kishore.

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I guess the first question you have to ask is: can I live with my 20" Magnavox, or do I want to get a bigger set?

So what exactly is your budget for? Speakers and receiver? Speakers, DVD and receiver? Speakers, DVD, receiver and TV?

Personally, I think that the $700 - $800 street price range is where you get the most bang for the buck in the receiver world. You get most, if not all, of the features of the higher priced units and you are at the first step where the power amps in the receiver are going to be good. This isn't to say that lower priced units are bad or not worth buying...

Although the Definitive's are good speakers, they do seem a bit rich for your budget. I'm saying this because I think that you will rapidly tire of watching widescreen DVD's on a 20" set. You should probably budget $600 or $700 for a 32" set. My favorite brands are Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic.

That said, I think you should budget around $1200 to $1500 for a full 5.1 setup. This is a pretty fat part of the market and you should be able to find a set of speakers which will sound really good.

As far as an opinion on Denon receivers: I have a 4802 and love it. The sound it great, power seems endless given my relatively efficient speakers and it has all the features anyone cound want. The other Denon receivers have been getting pretty good reviews, both here and in the press. If you decide to go for a receiver which costs less than the 3802, you might check out the Outlaw 1050 if you can do without Dolby ProLogic II. At $500 it has more real power than most other receivers in this price range.

Good luck...

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Have to agree with John.

The answer depends on what you do 70% of time. I usually listen to music while I am reading, and something is playing all the time (CD changers !!!). One of my reiends do not hav a single music CD - he watches TV all the time.

For him screen was critical; for me it was speakers. I spent 3 times more on speakers than on display....

If you watch movies first, then pick up a nice screen. Then look at speakers; electronics last.

Do not discount used gear - unless you have to have latest and greatest sound format (and it means either DPL-II, Logic-7 from H-K, DD-EX/THX-Ultra), look at used electronics market - receiveres are dropping about 50% in price a year fromrelease, after new generation is on market. Look also at Outlaw - their pricing is very good.

Speakers are most mature part of the rig - you can find different entry points, and predict price/performance behaviour over time. If you mostly listen, look at Monitor Audio, Paradigm, NTH, Diva and others.

Remeber, screen and speakers are the HT interfaces - who cares how many $$ you spend on silicon, if your speakers are unable to pass it to you...

Listen around; visit some HT stores, listen to different speakers. Always carry 2-3 CD with you (or made a test CD with your music to carry). Shoping around is 50% of the pleasure.

Good luck,

_zjt

4. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I have Definitive Speakers and love them.
    I have the Pro-Monitor 100s for my mains
    C2(?) for my center
    BP1X for my surrounds
    PF15TL (325w amp) sub
    They are great. I have a 22x26 room with various materials and this system does a grand job filling the room. I am using a Yamaha RXV795 revceiver.
    Generally, Definitive will not allow their dealers to discount the speakers. If they find anyone advertising discounted prices, they can come down hard on them. That being said, when I bought mine, I listened and decided what I wanted. The dealer then brought out a bunch of boxes and a cutter, and voila, I had a bunch of "open box" specials.
    This is the link the DefTech's dealer list:
    http://www.definitivetech.com/dealers/dealers.html
    Where in NE do you live? If you are anywhere near Merrimac MA, where I live, you are always welcome to arrange a visit to hear my speakers in action.......

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

$700.00 for a 3802? that sounds like a real bargain! i thought those things were a grand-plus?

anyway, another thing you may want to consider is to slowly add to your speaker system.

for example, if you really like a given brand/model but can't afford the whole setup, just get the mains first, then add the center, then the rears and finally, the sub.

it may take a little while longer, but in the long run you'll (probably) be happier then "settling" and getting something you're not quite happy with.

if you go this route, don't forget the concept of 'timbre matching'. check the ht primer thread for more info on that.

i'd focus more energy on my speaker research. they are the most subjective component, plus they don't really change that much over time. i know people who have speakers that are 5 to 10 years old. even mine are probably close to five by now. but receivers (and sound formats) are more likely to change at a quicker pace...forcing you to play the "upgrade game".

6. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

7. Kishore C

Kishore C Auditioning

Folks,
    Thanks for your input.
    At this point of time I do not want to invest on my TV. As I live in an apartment and we do not have anymore space (lengthwise). And the budget I have is all for HT and its necessary accessories and none other.
    Regarding speakers, can you give more input on the speakers that are comparable to Definitive. I am not particular about the brand, Definitive just happens to be the first one to give real good experience to me at the local store.
    I still want to do more research on this like which set of speakers go well with Denon.
    Zbigniew mentioned these Monitor Audio, Paradigm, NTH, Diva
    are nices one but I still have to check if these can sell me 5.1 set within my budget.
    BTW, http://www.crazyeddie.com/ sells AVR-3802 for $729
    Please keep the advises coming.
    Thanks,
    -Kishore.
    Thanks,
    -Kishore.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

All the speakers Zbigniew mentioned for you to look into are good recommendations. You probably won't be able to fit the Monitor Audios into your budget.
    I suggest going to www.audioenvy.com and seeing if there's anyone in your area that would be willing to demo the Diva's. If you like them, I believe they're still running a special on the 4.1 mains, C3 center, and 2.1 rears for $1198. Throw in a SVS 25-31PCi for $549 and your basically set. You will need to add shipping costs to this.
    Do you already have a DVD player or do you need to include that in your budget? If you don't have one, I recommend holding off on the subwoofer and getting a Denon DVD-1600.

9. Jon Landrum

Jon Landrum Auditioning

I’d check out the following:
    PSB Image (Package Include Image (2) 5T, (2) 2B, (1) 9C, and Subsonic 6 Subwoofer - $1729
    With speakers in that price range, I personally would look at the Yamaha, Outlaw, or Denon receivers in the $500-$600 range.
    Also, don’t rule out Norh speakers (www.norh.com) if nothing else, the site has some great reading. I have the Norh 4.0’s w/ a Mirage sub and a Marantz SR7000 receiver. I have no complaints with any of it.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

another highly recommended system (from both users and reviewers) is the energy take 5.2 system.
    i don't know how much it costs though...i think it's around 1300 or so...

11. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

12. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I would also check out the Axiom line of speakers. You can get a great Home Theater set of speakers for around a $1000. This does not include a sub. I think thier subs are a little expensive for what you get. Their web site is www.axiomaudio.com. Also, give Marc a call at www.audioshop.on.ca. He can probably give you a little better price than the axiom web site. I was skeptical about buying speakers off the net but I have been very happy with them. I just have been a little disappointed with the sub. My 2 cents worth of advice.
    Daniel T

13. trevis_h

trevis_h Auditioning

The Denon AVR-3802 is an excellent choice. The only difference between the 3802 and the 4802 is the 48 has THX, a little more power in the amps, and the Aktis remote (touch screen). You pay allot of money for the THX and the remote.
    As far as speakers, I love my Paradigm. I have the LCR-450's (R/L), the CC-450 (center), and the Studio ADP's (surround). The LCR's are not made any more, the replacement is the studio 40. The Paradigm have very good theater sound and do very well with music sources as well. I did a side by side with B&W nautilus. The B&W's were good but I liked the Paradigm better and they were 3/4 the cost of the B&W's.
    My very amateur web site has some pictures of my setup.
    http://www.monarch.net/users/hansonhome/
    Tell me what you think.

14. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kishore:
    I can also recommend www.av123.com as a place to pick up the Diva's and the Outlaw Audio receiver. I like the recommendation of the Diva's with an SV Sub. Throw in the Outlaw 1050 receiver and you have a great system to start out with.
    I presently have the Def Tech older models as in the BP20s, CLR 1000 the BP2 surrounds. I have never been disappointed in them. It really depends on whether or not you like the sound of a bipolar speaker or not. They are great speakers but with your budget may be a bit more than you want to spend considering that you have a receiver to buy too.
    Parker