What's new

Speakers - Opinions, suggestions, advice.. (1 Viewer)

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
OK guys.. After my first successful adventure in DIY building my EBS Tempest, I am sold.. Now I am very interested in DIYing the rest of the speaks I need..

For my front L/R mains is my Klipsch LaScala's which I cannot see ever replacing in my life.. So, since I'm sure you all know that they are rated at 104db/1watt, that leaves me wondering what kits would blend well with them.. I realize that I'm not even gonna come close to their effiency so I guess I'll just have to keep using the -10db drop on them..

What I want to build(kits) are a new center, and at least 3 surrounds for a 6.1.. Maybe even 4 surrounds so I'll be set when I can spend the bucks on a nice 7.1 receiver..

For a center, I have been thinking of the Adire LCC kit.. I like the concept of the added midrange over the basic MTM design although I have not yet heard a 3-way center.. Another bonus is Adire being located a 10 minute drive from me..

For the surrounds... I would like them to be larger than what would be considered the "norm".. I was very much considering the Kit 281's TL design but I'm not entirely sure.. I like the idea of a tower design so stands & mounting are not an issue.. I have no WAF to deal with, so think masculine, guys... Honestly, the only thing holding me back from the 281's is the off-center tweeter.. I wouldn't know how to modify the x-over to make it work right if I were to center it.. I know it sounds silly, but in a 6.1 setup which I will most likely be using for a while, having that center rear surround with an offset tweeter just makes me cringe.. ;)

I have considered the Adire HE12.1's for surrounds because of their higher effiency, but again, I am stuck on the look too.. I can't handle a speaker with only 1 driver (well, it looks like it anyway with the tweeter being mounted in the woof)

So, can anyone suggest some kits to check out that might work well for what I need? I am pretty positive I will go with the LCC but will consider other options.. The price range I am hoping to stay with is about right with what I listed.. 250ish for a center and 200ish for each surround.. (Without cabinets) I am especially interested in a TL design..

Thanks in advance :)

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
To get good tonal balance all around, you'll need to use the Klipsch mid/HF horns throughout. The LF can be multiples of the LaScala's woofer in dipole, or bipole for the CC if shielding is required. This all gets pretty pricey though, so limiting the LaScalas to stereo duty and building an all Adire/whatever HT speaker system makes more sense to me.

For instance, I have two huge Altec VOT loaded cabs for stereo/HT and there's no way I can get a decent matching CC, etc., on top of my RPTV or fit other large speakers around the room, so once I go multichannel I'm going to a whole new system from scratch using all the same (smaller) components.

FWIW, I'm taking a hard look at the HE12.1. I don't have any hang-ups with how they look, performance Vs size is my main criteria. ;)

GM

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
I am with GM here - you really need to match the HF if you like the Klipsch sound. For a center, the HF is fairly easy since it can be the two horns and same Xover. The bass gets real dicey - so without using a single LaScala as a center you have to accept a compromise (not saying that is bad - I did the same when building a Heresy like center channel and am quite pleased).

I have tried quite a bit on surrounds. Just suffice it to say that I am like most others - the same/exact speakers for the five main speakers is where you want to go for a multi-purpose room. While I usually don't take such strong positions (I am a big believer that you use your ears not mine) I can say that this type of setup is going to give you the best tone, dynamics and image than any other configuration.

If you find the LaScalas get in the way - give me a call;)

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Frank's reccomendation on pispeakers. I have helped a friend build the 4pi theater series speakers and they sound amazing, and go incredibly loud, even with only 50w each.

I have also been to Wayne's (The owner) house where he has a pair of the massive 10pi's. They sound awesome and are the loudest speakers I have ever heard! :D I also heard the 2pis and 2pis, and I bet they would work great in your application, the kits only cost 100 dollars a pair, so you could do 2 pairs for 4 rear surround channels for real cheap, and they would sound real good too.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, gents.. :)

I really would love to have LaScala's all the way around, but unfortunately, that's far from a feasible reality.. Mainly due to price. Size is the other prob.. As for DIYing it up using Klipsch horn drivers, that is another impossibility at this point due to availability of said horns, price, and size..

I do like the idea of the pi speakers.. They seem to be well priced and good performers, but a little bigger than I want..

I realize that I will not acheive a "tonal balance" with anything less than matching horns, but honestly, that's not a huge issue with me. When you consider that surrounds are just imaging, I think I would be happy with any clean sounding surrounds.

I am beginning to think that my best option may be to just settle for a Klipsch RC-7 and some RS-7's..

If I had a mid-large sized dedicated HT then I would most likely go with some pi's..

Does anyone know of any reasonibly sized/priced kits in a TL design other than the 281's?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

Why the specific desire for a TL design speaker for a HT? I'd think the vented 281's would work just fine for you and would be easier to build.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Travis,

I know it's not DIY, but how about a Heresy center. It's the most compact of the Heritage models. If you're only able to find a pair, you could probably get rid of a single Heresy in a snap at the Klipsch.com forum.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
Brian- Basically because TL designs are cool ;) Ease of construction is really a non-issue.. I have access to a fully equipped woodshop. Table saw w/ shop fox fence, radial arm saw, band saw, jigsaw, skillsaw, plunge & standard routers, drill press, belt & orbital sanders, etc.. My pappy is woodshop happy ;) Another reason is I want to avoid vented cabs as much as possible, hence my choosing to build my EBS Tempest in a PR design rather than the cheaper vented.. Not to say that vented is bad, it's just not in my preference..

Frank- A Heresy would no doubt fill the bill in a most excellent way, but I need something that will place well above my 52" RPTV.. Again, price is a hinderance also.. Down the road a few years, I may indeed have the space and funds to accomodate such a monster setup..

I know you guys are absolutely right as to what would be an ideal match, but I have no choice but to settle for less at this point in time. If I had my way, I'd have a pair of Klipschorns for my mains, a LaScala for the center and 2-4 more for surrounds and be in audio bliss, but that is some serious $$$ without even considering how much space they take up..

A pair or two of Heresy's would make acceptable surrounds given their smaller footprint, but unless I found as much of a steal on a pair of them as I did on my LaScala's, they are out of my current price range..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks