Speakers on the internet - Where to Buy? What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gary V, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Gary V

Gary V Extra

I am researching purchasing all of my components for my home theater. I am just wondering what websites you recommend getting speakers from.

I have a budget of about 2,000 for all speakers. I plan on having a 6.1 system, so that means FR, FL, Front Center, Sub, BL, BR, Back Center.

Short of going to Good Guys and checking out their selection, do you have any recommendations? Preferably they would all be the same company.

Thanks in advance

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Rockets (AV123 dot com)
    Axioms
    Ascends
    HTD (Hometheaterdirect)

These are all good internet direct companies. I think there maybe a couple more, but too early in the morning (or too late in the night right now).

You'll have to be more specific with your criteria above. Why 6.1 vs. 5.1 and 7.1? What are your listening taste (Home theater vs. music)? Size constraints for the speakers? What speakers have you listened to that you like (sound preference)? What's the size of the room? ETC.

3. Gary V

Gary V Extra

I am going with 6.1 primarily because I don't have the prewire for 7.1.

Listening tastes - well, I probably wont use it very much for music. Maybe 10% of the time. Primarily I want to use it for DVD's, TV and sports (HD!).

I went to good guys and I liked the sound of the Klipsch speakers. I knew a guy who had some huge Klipsch speakers and they were pretty impressive...but not sure where they fall in the line of overall quality and value.

Overall, I am trying to find equilibirum of quality and value, for $2,000. Last thing I want to do is go to Best Buy or Good Guys and buy the most expensive speakers just because.

I remember when I was younger, there was a pecking order. For example, KLH wasn't very good. Yet JBL's were better than KLH's, but not as good as infinities or boston accoustics...

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Klipsch are considered pretty bright speakers, so out of the bunch mentioned above, the Axioms would be more suitable to your taste. The Hometheaterdirect speakers are between neutral and bright, as well. Try checking those 2 out and see what's best for you. They both have 30-day in-home trial periods (I think the Axiom's period might be longer). You might want to order 2 fronts and a center to try out at first, and ship back the ones you don't like. There might be some Axiom owners in your neck of the woods. Why don't you try visiting their forum to ask for a demo from one of the owners?

The new Rocket ELT bookshelf (5.1) speakers are brighter than their other line of speakers, so you might want to take a listen to those as well. They are like $899 plus shipping (well under your $2000 budget).

5. Gary V

Gary V Extra

I have never heard of axioms...are they only sold over the internet? Are they considered a high end speaker?

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I've got the nOrh 4.0 video system. You either love or hate the looks. Either the ceramic or wood system will run you $1,125 for six speakers. Add in a SVS PB2-ISD and you are at $2,074 or SVS 20-39PC+ and you are in at roughly $1,980.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ll second Nhan’s recommendations (I don’t know anything about HTD) and add ACI to the list.

For subwoofers only, you might add Adire, Hsu and SVS to the list.

As far as a pecking order, ACI probably makes the highest end equipment (perhaps excepting the References from AV123), and nothing much in budget systems (they do resell the Rocket ELT system), Rocket packages would go from about $1,500 (including subwoofer to about $3,000) and they have their ELT system priced at $900 (and they also have their reference packages beginning at $3,200 and going up to almost $5,000, not including a sub), Axiom spans a pretty moderate range (systems might range from $1,000–$2,500) and Ascend operates in a slightly narrower range, nothing so inexpensive as the ELTs and nothing so expensive as the more costly Axioms and Ascends (they use Hsu subs as a part of their package deals, but of course you can buy anything—just as you can with the other manufactures).

The Rockets and ACI products have the best looks, being furniture-grade wood veneer, the Axioms are covered with vinyl, not wood (but there are more choices in simulated wood) and the Ascends are black.

All of these companies are quite reputable—ACI gives the longest warranties and they will all allow for an in-home 30-day or so trial, where you have to pay the shipping if you send them back.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

And if you like the Klipsch sound, you might check out the Axiom speakers and perhaps also the Ascends.

My view of the ELTs is the same as Nhan’s—they are more forward than the other Rockets.

9. Gary V

Gary V Extra

Sorry, I am just starting to get into the lingo here. What do you mean by forward?

10. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Forward sounding speakers from my experience are those that put the source in front of the speaker. Meaning that it sounds like the music/dialogue is coming from in front of the speaker. The somewhat opposite (IMHO) characteristic is laid back.

I think a few put it this way. Forward sounding speakers make it sound like you're in the front row of a concert and more neutral or laid back sounding speakers place you further back with respect to the source. I hope that makes some sense.

I have to second the ACI lines from personal experience. For $2k, I think you'll only be able to get Emeralds all the way around w/o a sub. I wouldn't have any problem with suggesting the Rocket line based on reputation only. I haven't heard them personally (yet![​IMG]), but there has been lots of good talk about them and the service from AV123. To me, service is almost as important as the speaker itself.

If you have the funds and time, try out the 30 day no obligation audition from ACI and AV123 (Rockets). Then grab some B&M brands and hone what characteristics you want in a speaker. Listening is half the fun. Good luck.