What's new

Speakers on spikes or on "feet"? (1 Viewer)

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a question that I don't think has ever been addressed before -- is it better to rest speakers on spikes or on the feet they come with? Currently, I have Paradigm Studio 60 mains -- they come with spikes and feet. I have the spikes screwed in to the base of the speaker and the feet connected to the spikes. So, the spekares are resting on the feet -- the spieks do NOT protrude beyond the feet. Should they rest on the spikes instead? I don't really understand what either the spieks or the feet really do for the sound. Also, for waht it is worth, my speakers sit on carpeting (realtively thin , and NOT plush).
Thanks,
Allan

Roger Kaufmann

Stunt Coordinator
Allan,
Generally the rule of thumb is to use spikes when placing speakers on carpet. The reason being is sound will transfer into the carpet and not your ears, specifically the bass response. If you do decide to use your spikes take great care to ensure the speakers don't rock on any corner. Make time to adjust the spikes so each corner gets an equal load otherwise you you will be defeating their use.
Cheers,
------------------
R. Kaufmann
My DVD Profiler Collection

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is the model I usually use:
When sound bounces around inside the speaker cabinent, it vibrates the material. Much of the energy is simply returned to the interior (but some of it actually escapes to the room).
The speaker designers use baffles/braces and different materials so the speaker cabinent produces a particular tone or character. It becomes part of the sound of the speaker.
If you simply set a speaker on the floor or top of the TV, some of the energy is transfered/lost due to friction.
Both spikes and feet are used to decouple the cabinent from the floor and avoid the friction/reduce the energy loss.
For the center channel, I'd use feet to avoid maring the top of my TV.
For floor-standing speakers on carpet, spikes tend to do a better job because the spikes penetrate the carpet and hit the solid floor giving more stability.
Note: people sometimes get crazy with $100+ spikes and disks of exotic woods/metal under the spikes and then rabidly defend the "improved" sound. So watch out for this. (They even do this with electronics.)
One guy put spikes on his speakers and noticed a bit improved sound. But he could still feel vibration in the floor. He got two squares of ceramic tile for about $6 and put these under the spikes. This stopped the floor from vibrating, but he could still feel a bit of vibration by touching the tiles. So he put nickles under the spikes which stopped the tiles from vibrating. Inexpensive/easy/can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks