What's new

speakers on either side of a Tosh 56H80 -- too close? (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm taking delivery of a brand new Toshiba 56H80 within the next hour! :)
I've got a question about speaker placement -- I'm wondering if placing the speakers directly next to the left and right side of the set will be too close together.
I'm used to two channel audio with the speakers placed about 6-8 feet apart. But what is optimal for HT? Do I want to maintain that distance, or should it be closer to keep the sound "attatched" to the visuals on screen?
Viewing distance is 10 feet and my speakers are PSB Image 5Ts and a 9C center
Thanks!
Chris

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'd go with whatever sounds good for music reproduction.
It's really the center channel speakers job to keep the action 'centered'.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Technically speaking, the spec and custom for sound mixes assumes that the left and right speaker are nearly flush with the edges of the screen... or, better yet, behind the screen, at the outer edges (which isn't possible with, for example, a RPTV).

Chris White

Second Unit
Placing speakers "directly next to" a tv is not a good idea. If you were sitting relatively close to the tv, the width of the speakers would not be a problem. What is a problem, however, is having a giant box directly between the main speakers. This really destroys your soundstage. To hear what I'm talking about, sit in the sweet spot and listen to music with the speakers directly next to the tv and then with the speakers pulled forward so that there is nothing between them. The difference in soundstage is significant.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Very true. Unfortunately, one has to find a happy medium, since the mix on most soundtracks assumes such placement.
My compromise was to leave about 6 inches of space.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks