Speakers on a budget.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Marcel D., Apr 25, 2006.

1. Marcel D.

Marcel D. Auditioning

I've recently realized that my current speakers; a mix of KLH towers in the rear, Pioneer HPM-40s in the front and some generic center really don't sound as good as I once thought. I don't really know where to start looking and my budget is about $900(CAD). My sub is fine for my tastes and I really enjoy the room filling sound from my towers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Hey support canada and look at some Paradigms but the most important fact is to listen to what you look at or consider before you buy!! other brands are JBL Northridge. Klipsch. Energy. Monitor audio, Infinity, Athena, the list goes on and on. the best advice anyone here is going to give you is to get out there and try some speakers. now ive given you a few names so you can start your search and find the best set of speakers for your needs out there

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Paradigm seems to be one of the best bargains. IIRC, their prices are almost the same in Canadian dollars as they are in American dollars. At that budget you should look at the Atoms or Titans in the Performance series.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Keeping this in mind, I would recommend nothing smaller than a speaker with a 6.5" woofer. Going from those speakers you have, especially the Pioneers, to anything smaller IMO will result in "sonic shock" [​IMG]

Here's a couple I like:

Infinity Primus 160
    Stereophile magazine reviewed their little brother (5 1/4" woofer) here.

JBL E30
    FYI: they have a brand new line called the Venue Series.

BTW: that series of Pioneer speakers are definitely classics - don't throw them away!! Here's a Russian site with very good photos of them. "HPM" stands for something polymer something (can't fully remember right now) - this material vibrates when an electrical signal is applied to it but can only reproduce high frequencies. That big HPM-150 uses an omnidirectional version which is paired with an acoustic lens to better disperse the soundwaves.

5. Marcel D.

Marcel D. Auditioning

I'll look into all of those, thanks for the help.

Oh and about the HPM-40's, I just figured out there are two versions, and this is my version. They sound a lot better than the KLH's.