Speakers Not Loud Enough

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason_Collins, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Jason_Collins

Jason_Collins Auditioning

I have a problem. I was using a Philips 300W in-the-box home theater and recently purchased a Onkyo TX-SR500 reciever for my speakers. I have everything connected, works great however volume is low. I have each channel at +12, including the sub and the volume is still low. I need to set the reciever volume to like 50 to get loud enough sound. It's not much of a problem however Im afraid Im going to blow my speakers or something.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

if its reading -50db this can generally mean the reciever is only pushing around 1-2 watts if that. On my Yamaha I usually listen at around -30db for DVD's -40 for CD's and -45 to -30 for TV depending on if its an analog channel or digital channel. One thing is you dont want all your channels set at +12 DB thats grossly over driving and you should properly calibrate using an SPL Meter and either the internal test tones of the reciever or a calibration disc like Avia or Video Essentials. With your reciever dont be afraid to turn it up to higher. High quality recievers like an Onkyo and others are not built with a volume like 1-10 10 being the loudest they're engineered properly to typically work on a DB scale which is a far cry from an el cheapo system like your prior phillips system. Hope this helps.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

That's the way the higher quality receivers are made. I noticed that as well when I first went from my Sony DE-825? to my first Marantz receiver a couple of years ago. The standard they use is absolute where 0db is reference, and infinity is no volume. You're expected to play your movies @ the 0db setting if you're listening at Dolby reference levels. Don't worry about it, you're not going to blow anything uless you crank it past the capabilities of your speakers.

4. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

I remember something about Onkyo's receiver's volume is increased logarithmicly, so you aren't even at half volume till about 70 or so. I know someone knows and will back me up on this. So drop your speaker adjustments back down to -0 and crank the volume and don't worry about it.

D

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

What they said... [​IMG]

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

YIP! And that's the whole truth and nothing but the truth. The Phillips has left the building.[​IMG]

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

EDIT: Wow!! That's weird. The same thing that I posted above somehow posted itself again???

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Strange things happen every now and then here on the Forum Nick.[​IMG]

9. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I thought the Onkyo didn't display volume in negative db.[​IMG]

10. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Mine doesn't, but I'm using an Onkyo 696. My volume goes from 0 to a max of 80. I usually listen with the volume around 30 which is ~ 75 dB with my fairly effecient speakers.

11. JeremyFr

sorry I guess I assumed about the -db display but I know that now matter how they display it works off a logarithmic db scale even though it may not display so.

12. Jason_Collins

For some odd reason the base isnt nearly as loud either. Not that it's real bad or anything..

13. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Jason, the situation you described with your receiver sounds normal to me. If you want more bass, feel free to adjust the subwoofer output level or the tone controls. You probably won't damage anything, but be careful if you hear any distortion. Like Jeremy, I'd suggest balancing out the levels with the test tones so you don't have to worry about it.

14. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Jason,
    I have the Onkyo TX SR500 also. I went from a cheaper Sony with 100 WPC "supposedly" to the Onkyo with 65 WPC. With the Sony I would turn it 1/2 turn and it would be at distortion levels. When I first got the Onkyo, I was surprised at how much I had to turn the knob. But the thing about the Onkyo I can turn it to max and I get good clean sound all the way. The range goes from 0-100, it doesn't show "0" for reference like some other receivers. Your reference will be at the number that you get when you calibrate. I'm at reference at a reading of 78. So you can see there is room to crank it up. So don't be afraid to crank it. I have, and you'd be surprised at how "only' 65 clean watts can rock.

15. Jason_Collins

My main concern was blowing a speaker since each speaker (according to the manuals) support 50W, and my reciever says 65W per.

16. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

17. Jason_Collins

Thanks for the replies everyone. Everything is working great at the moment, I havent been able to actually test a 5.1 movie yet (ordered optical cable for DVD) but Pro Logic and everything works great. No un-natural speaker feedback yet.

18. JeremyFr

Hey Phil maybe you should read again I see 3 posts in this thread before your's all stating in one way or another to calibrate as follows

JeremyFR

19. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

JeremyFr - I stand corrected!!! :b My contact's needs replacing!!! [​IMG]

I edited my above comments!

Phil

20. JeremyFr

hehe luckily I'm still young but the days of bad eyesight are quickly aproaching [​IMG] Thanks to the genetics of my parents hehe.