What's new

Speakers? Klipsch, Paradigm??? (1 Viewer)

Stephens p

Auditioning
Greetings, I am a newbee here to your forum and am wanting to set up a home theater system in the near future. I am just now getting to the research....let's talk speakers:
Opinions needed:
Klipsch
Paradigm
Others within $2000 range
Thanks in advance!
steve

Andrew B

Agent
Well my vote for Speakers would have to be the Paradigm. I am in the progress of upgrading to the Paradigm monitor line (should have everything done in less than a month). I currently have the CC-370 and PW 2200 and love them. The center gives great natural high deatil sound, and the sub gives great low end for HT and the best for music under $1500 that I have demoed (and no I have not heard any SVS subs yet
wink.gif
) I should be getting the Monitor 7's in about 2 weeks
biggrin.gif
Anyway you might want to try the following combination:
Center: CC-370 $300
Mains: Monitor 7 $600
Surrounds: Mini Monitors $300
Subwoofer: PW 2200 $800
Total $2000
The prices might be a bit higher where you are but if you shop around and tell the sales person that you will drop $2K on speakers they should give you a similar price
wink.gif
Anyway hope this helps.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Klipsch.......can't beat them for sound quality and pure ability to play loud. If you want clarity and plenty of punch from you movies.....you'll want Klipsch. The speakers are so efficient that they don't need to eat up all your receiver's power to sound great.
You can get some great deals right now......
KLF 30's for fronts
KLF C7 for center
KLF 10's for rears
KSW 15 sub
All that would be around $2000 and you won't be disappointed at all.
Good Luck.

MartyK

Agent
My vote is for the Klipsch Reference Series. I have the RF-3 mains, RC-3 center and RS-3 surrounds. For the money you can't get better performance and sound for both music and home theater (IMHO).
[Edited last by MartyK on September 03, 2001 at 09:16 AM]
[Edited last by MartyK on September 03, 2001 at 09:17 AM]

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I own Klipsch myself. The horn tweeters give it a very different sound from other speakers. I happen to like it (and theaters generally use horn tweeters as well).
Be sure to listen and compare!

Graeme Shiomi

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
I'd like to suggest that asking this (or any) forum for opinions on two speakers would be the best way to go about shopping for speakers. All that's going to happen is that you'll find out what speakers people have (i.e. people will tell you to get the speakers they have). Speakers all sound quite different, and you should go with a set that has a sound you like. You've stated a sizeable budget of $2000, so you're really not limited in that department.
That being said, let me start you off with a question of my own. You asked, "Klipsch or Paradigm?". I ask you:
Why not PSB? Why not Polk Audio? Why not Energy? Why not Axiom? Why not NHT? Why not JBL? Why not Mirage? Why not Boston Acoustics? Why not Tannoy? Why not Monitor Audio?
Each of the companies I listed there have at least one set of speakers that fit into your budget. And those are just one's I could think of off the top of my head. You'll be much happier in the end if you go out and take a listen to as many speakers as possible before you make any decision.
Graeme
P.S. Just for the record, I've got Paradigms and I love them. But you might hate them.
[Edited last by Graeme Shiomi on September 01, 2001 at 03:38 PM]

TomH

Second Unit
Definately audition them before buying. The Klipsch have a sound that is not even close to most other speakers. If you like it,great. If not, you certainly do not want to find out after you get them home. I vote for Paradigm.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
YOU HAVE TO LISTEN FOR YOURSELF.
Now, think also about this, look at the answers and you will see a pattern, there are countless brands, thousands of different designs and so on.
Yet, Klipsch is different from all. The so called "Klipsch sound" is just something you NEED to experiment. Definitely.
------------------

DanSt

Stunt Coordinator
My vote is for the Klipsch ref line. The ref-7's are awesome!
PS-But always listen for yourself.
[Edited last by DanSt on September 02, 2001 at 12:09 PM]

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
To Andrew B,
I have the exact combination that you have, with the Monitor 7's. I have been very pleased with this combination. I hope you will be too.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I tried the "kilpsch experience" and just didn't like them. I went with the following..
Paradigm CC 350
Paradigm Monitor 9's V.1
Paridigm Mini Monitors
SVS 20-39CS
I can definately say I love my paradigms. In fact I think I sell as many to my friends as dealers do. Everyone of them that has heard my home theater has bought some. Some higher, some lower, but no one has regret it. My vote Paradigm.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I can highly recommend Paradigm Studio's for HomeTheater
and Klipsch for a 5.1 system for your computer.
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

KeithR

Second Unit
Well, as both Klipsch and Paradigm are fatiguing to my ears...i will stray elsewhere. As others state, you need to listen, and not just for 5 minutes.. Also, don't audition anything on dvds...take a few cds. Listen for an hour or two, and see how you feel. Also, I don't like most center channels...I prefer 5 identical speakers. Most centers are just dreadful if you dont sit right in front of them.
That said, I would look at the nOrh 4.0 package + SVS sub or to the Dynaudio Audience line. Dynaudios use all proprietary drivers, cabinets, and crossovers which is very interesting---nOrhs have a cabinet design unique in both looks and the effect it has on sound.
Good luck!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Research, research, research! Don't be afraid to go with something new or different. http://www.av123.com Audition those you can but do not rule out thinking outside the box and going with internet only companies. You just may be pleasantly surprised.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
As others have said, go listen to them for yourself. One thing I would try is listening to each brand with a couple of different receivers. For the record I've got the Klipsch Reference series and love them. I use to have them on a Sony 555ES and thought they were way too bright. I've since switched to a Denon 3802 and love it! The Klipsch and Denon are a perfect match!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks