Speakers: Is it common for various

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jon Musil, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Jon Musil

Jon Musil Stunt Coordinator

Jul 25, 2003
    speakers in the same line, in this case MA silver series, to have differing OHM ratings? Some of the Silvers I am considering have 6 OHM ratings and some have 8 OHMS.

What are the implications of this difference in OHM ratings being run on the same receiver? It must not be too critical as Monitor seems to know what they're doing.

I've heard about adjusting your receiver settings if you have 4 OHM speakers, would a difference of 2 OHMS, 8-6, necessitate an adjustment on the my 43TX receiver? I just got the receiver partially set up this morning so I'm not to familiar with details like this.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Sometimes it due to the number of drivers used in the speaker, and how they are internally connected in conjunction with their crossover network, which could result in the nominal impedance to be lowered. For example, if the speaker was a MTM 2-way speakers, the M's (midrange) are definitely connected in parallel to boost the lowend to midrange output from the speaker at the expense of lowering the nominal impedance which might be problematic for some receiver that aren't designed to supply enough current to the speakers on demanding loud passages.

But for this instance, 6 ohm to 8 ohm speakers shouldn't present that much of a problem to your receiver (and if they did, hopefully the receiver's protection circuitry would shut down the receiver before it sent out clipped signals to the speakers for a prolonged period of time.