Speakers in TW56x81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamB, Apr 8, 2002.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Hello. In an effort to improve the sound of the x81 I would like to replace the stock speakers (they look to be 6") I know the power output is only 14w/channel but ya gotta believe that a better set of speakers would be worth the effort. Does anyone know of a good replacement for these?
    We've got a great DD5.1 system but use that mostly for DVD -dont want to burn it up watching network stuff!!
    Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

What do you mean by 'burn it up'? If you mean it's too much trouble to turn everything on... OK, suit yourself. If you mean you don't want to put wear/tear on the audio system, don't worry about it. Speakers will last you 20+ years and the rest of your your eletronics don't have much of anything that can wear (save, pherhaps, mechanical relays...)

That said, the speakers or TV manual you have specs on the speaker. They'll almost surely be 8-ohm. So a 6", 8ohm, full range speaker, that can be driven by 14-watts is all you need. Just poke around online. Car audio speakers might be the easiest place to look.

3. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bill... This is more of a wife doesnt want to fiddle with it than an equipment issue. She's a "press one button" kinda gal. Me, I'd fire up the surround sound!
    The stock speakers are full range, I may not get much extra by replacing them unless I use a coax type of speaker[​IMG]

4. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

Replacing your stock speakers may effect your geometry and convergence. The replacement speakers will more then likely have a stronger magnetic field then the stock speakers.