speakers in cabinet- sound quality/vibration

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff G, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Jeff G

Jeff G Auditioning

I am in the process of building my HT. I have built a stud wall to enclose my display and CC. It is ~5' wide and 3' deep. There is a "bulkhead" tieing this to the ceiling that is about 7' wide and 4' deep. On each side of the enclosure I will built a cabinet (about 28" tall) for the equipment. A trapezoidal column will start at the top of he equipment rack and extend to the bulkhead (this is suppossed to mimick an Arts & Crafts inglenook). I will place the L/R speakers in the columns. They are rear-vented bookshelfs (Paradigm Reference 20)so I'll have to leave the rear of the column open to some degree. The CC (Paradigm CC)will go into the display enclosure over the display. My concerns are as follows:

1) How is mounting the speakers in the columns and in the enclosure going to affect the sound?

2)Should I place sonex or some other material behind the CC?

3)How can I minimize vibration for the L/R speaker to the equipment (in the cabinet the column is sitting on)? I have heard cork is good. Also using disparate material to form a "sandwich"

Thanks for any assist

2. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

You will not find anyone who would recommend putting speakers in a cabinet...other than maybe a designer/decorator. All recommendations for speaker placement call for mains to be pulled out away from the front wall about 2ft with nothing between the speakers. Putting them in cabinets is going to prevent you from getting a good front soundstage. Of course, not everyone can have their speakers pulled out, but that is the ideal situation. If you have to use cabinets, then you have to, but it won't give you the best results sonically. You have to weigh your options of aesthetics (wife approval?) vs. sound quality.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Jeff
    Sounds like you have an older home too. I am in a 1896 victorian which has small divided rooms. I had to build a cabinet above my Monitor and placed my rears in the trim around the window. I found a place that sold 1920s radio cloth by the yard to finish the effect. Luckly I started before anyone told me this would ruin the sound. I used 3 KEF Q75 Towers for the front and 2 very similiar Q70s for the back. KEFs are ideal since they don't have boomy base like many speakers.
    I surrounded the speakers in sound deafening board.
    So what about the sound? I have never heard a system I like better including those that cost 100 times as much. I might be biased but most people that hear something here are in awe and bring over DVDs and CDs to listen to them on the system. Here is a link to my system, the phots are too dark but they give you an idea
    You might have to play around with the speakers to get the sound you desire but you can do it. Email me if you have any questions
    Grant
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

5. Jeff G

Jeff G Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'm hosing my imaging all up. It also greatly concerns me that I can no longer "position" my mains. They will be in a fixed position. I want to try and minimize these effects. I've heard of folks plugging the rear ports. I may try that. I could look out for a single Studio 20, but hate to toss the CC. Thanks for your assistance.

6. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

"I surrounded the speakers in sound deafening board."

What exactly would that be???

Thanks.

7. Jeff G

Jeff G Auditioning

Jay po,
    You will have to direct that to Grant B. I'm guessing he is refering to medium density fiberboard (MDF), but really don't know.
    Jeff

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Jay po
    I believe Jeff G is correct. The local lumber company refers to it as sound deafening board. About $8 a 4x8 sheet and scores with a knife. I used it mainly on ceiling soundproofing sandwiching it between sheetrock.
    Since most speakers are meant to be at least a couple of feet away from walls, by using the board it allows you to have the speakers closer to the walls

9. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator