Speakers in a "humid" environment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Smith, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Adam_Smith

Adam_Smith Auditioning

I was thinking about running a cable from the preamp out on my Sony DB1070 receiver to a pair of cheap self powered speakers which I would have hanging on the wall of the bathroom so people could listen to music in the shower. If moisture in the room somehow got into the speakers and caused them to short or something could this in anyh way damage my receiver. I wouldn't care about the speakers, only my receiver and other HT components. They would be connect via standard headphone type extension cable with an RCA to stereo mini cord connected the preamp out which is RCA.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If the speakers are sealed in a cabinet or box then moisture shouldn't get inside. Outdoor speakers would be perfect in the bathroom but you already have cheap ones. If a paper cone gets wet, it might degrade fast...

Moisture can get on the speaker terminals but that's an easy fix with electric tape or shrink wrap. Another option is to coat the terminal posts with silicone or caulk.

That would be safer approach because I'd be afraid if water drips on the posts blowing a fuse or possibly damaging the receiver.

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

How about wrapping them in a shower cap ([​IMG]) to ensure no drops of water get on them?
    Moisture is a totally different issue, and as said, moisture is not good for paper cones.