What's new

Speakers from Theater Research? (1 Viewer)

scott-t

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me about this manufacture of speakers "Theater Research"? I have noticed them on e-bay for some time and I am in the market for some towers. They seem to be pretty cheap to me. Any thoughts?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Scott. Welcome to HTF! :)

I think "Theater Research" and "Digital Research" are what is known as "White Van" speakers.

Someone drives around with a van full of these and offers to sell the entire set to you at a gas station for $300-$500 for the set. Some story about "inventory liquidation" or "left in a warehouse past 90 days" and offers you a deep discount on them because the boss needs the space.

The only reason you see them on eBay or CraigsList is the poor suckers who got taken in are trying to fool someone else into taking these lemons off their hands.

Dont go for it.

You can do a much better job with budget speakers from places like "Atlantic Technologies" or "Velodyne" or "Home Theater Direct".

If you are new - here is some advice: try to not buy any speakers unless you can audition them yourself with a CD or DVD movie you are familar with.

Check out the speakers fourm. You will start to learn the budget-but-respected brand names and you can often find these used on eBay or CraigsList. There are also a few internet-only companies that are safe to buy from like "SVS" and "HSU".

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks