Speakers for new home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan V., Jun 21, 2002.

1. Dan V.

Dan V. Auditioning

I'm planning on adding a home theater room to my basement and am in the process of acquiring new gear. I've done my research and have pretty much narrowed it down between four speaker companies: Mission, PSB, Kef, and Klipsch.
    I'd barely heard of Mission before, but from what I've read and heard, they're top quality. I was looking at 2 M74's for the front, M70d's rear, an M70c1 for the center, and a M700as sub to top it off. But the more I look at Mission, the more I'm tempted by their award winning Cinema 7 series.
    I also had a quick look at PSB's image series but was told I'd be better served by a pair of Kef Q3's, a couple of HTS2001 eggs in the rear, a Q9c center, and a PSW2000 sub. Turns out the sub wasn't working when I gave them a listen, so I was left disappointed.
    I finally listened to Klipsch's Reference series RF-3 II fronts, RS-3 II rears, RC-3 II center and RSW-10 sub and was quite impressed, but these stared getting a bit out of my budget.
    So can anyone help me out on this? My priority number one is sound quality, with 80% home theater and 20% music use.
    I'm a bit confused, as well, as to prices. A Mission center is $279CDN, while a Kef is $550, and a Klipsch $550US. The Mission sub is $549, the Kef $800, and the Klipsch a walloping $1500!
    Is the extra money really worth it for the Klipsch, or maybe go for the Mission Cinema 7's?
    P.S. Still undecided as to what I'll be hooking the speakers up to as well, but it's narrowed down between the Marantz SR7200 and the Denon AVR3802.
    (check out receiver forum)...

2. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Dan,

All the speakers you mentioned are good quality & from reputable makers so you really can't go wrong. Start doing some MAJOR auditioning & bring your favorite DVD's with since this will be primarily for HT.

I'm biased towards the Klipsch since I have 8 Legends in my HT. You can get these for pretty good prices on ebay since they were discontinued last year. I would go with an SVS or two over the Klipsch or other subs. I LOVE the horns for they're detail and dynamic range, especially at loud volumes.

I'm powering mine with a 3802 and couldn't be happier as it's a great receiver. A lower cross-over would be nice, but my sub has no trouble pumping out the bass.

Happy speaker shopping...Mike

3. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Klipsch all the way. I don't think anything beats Klipsch for the money, for music or movies. They are dynamic, loud, clean, powerfull, live, big sounding speakers. The Klipsch Reference series looks soooo good.
    They are well built. The RF3's in my opinion are the best value. The RF7's would rock to![​IMG]
    As allways, don't go with what other people say. Even though I'm right..[​IMG] Be happy with what you buy!!!

4. Geoff McD

Geoff McD Extra

I guess I can throw another nod out to Klipsch!

My current system consists of the RF-3s in the front, RC-3 for the center, and the RS-3s for the surrounds. I have them powered by the Denon AVR-5700. They sound so clean, and brilliant - I am definitely a big horn fan! These speakers are soooo efficient, it really dosn't take much power to get these babies up and moving. But then again, they can handle plenty of power, as I am feeding each speaker 140 watts, and feel pretty confident that each could take plenty more than that.

Subs are a different story for me. I have a Klipsch SW-12 Series II. Doesn't sound familiar huh? Thats probably because I bought it 7 years ago. In my personal opinion, these were the best subs Klipsch ever made, and their new ones just aren't the same. Mine is also showing its age, and I am looking for subs myself (not Klipsch). You might want to audition other brands too, and compare for yourself. Not sure if you are really trying to get the same sub as your main speakers. You really don't need to, as matching isn't as much of a concern when considering a sub. So, don't let that play into your decision.

5. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

If you are in Canada, what about all of the good Canadian speaker companies? Athena, Energy, Mirage, Paradigm, PSB, Axiom....what did I forget?

Not sure what you can get up there regarding subs, but read great reviews about SVS, HSU VTF-2, Adire Rava...

6. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

You can get pretty much everything here in canada but on higher price than US.

7. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

I used to own the M74's, excellent speakers for the money and have a very exciting sound with enough bass for anyone. The only thing I would change with the mission set up you mentioned is the centre, go for the newly released M70c2 which is designed to be used with the bigger floorstanding models in the M70 range.

The cinema 7 series arent made anymore and are now replaced, they are highly capable speakers but you will definately need a sub with the smaller models in the range, if you are lucky you may be able to pick some up cheap but availability is limited now, in the U.K anyway.