Speakers for my Denon 1802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Denon 1802 as a beginning to a home theater. Now I need speakers. I can't spend a fortune which mean something in the $600-$800 range, if that's at all possible. What's a nice 5.1 speaker system for the Denon?
    ------------------

2. David Head

David Head Second Unit

You should add the PSB Image series to your audition list. You can see if there's a dealer in your area here .
    Any of these combinations shuld be within your budget with the 20%-25% discounts available on the net:
    Front/Center/Surround - Approx. Price
    -------------------------------------
    1B / 8C / 1B - $625
    3LR / 8C / 1B - $760
    4T / 8C / 1B - $835
    David
    [Edited last by David Head on October 09, 2001 at 11:27 AM]

3. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

I'll second that PSB Image series recommendation. I auditioned the 2Bs (and the 4Ts) at my dealer. Great sound...not too harsh but detailed and crisp. I'd highly recommend you find a dealer in your town and listen to them. Then you can decide whether to buy local or save $$$ on the internet. www.yawaonline.com sells "B" stocks of these at great prices.
    I'd also recommend you look at www.hometheaterdirect.com Their "Level III" speakers have great bang for the buck. I can't speak to how they sound buy many on this forum recommend them. They are probably not as musical as the PSBs, but they may have better bass.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Add the Energy Take 5.2 to your list of speakers to listen to. They are right in your price range.
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

5. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard a lot about the Energy Take 5.2's (and the Take 5.1) so I want to try those. I may have to take a chance and order them online. I went to listen to the Polk RM6600's today. They sounded pretty nice but for 1,000+ I expected to be more impressed. I may just have to take the plunge and try the energy or the more expensive PSB's.
    ------------------

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I have Paradigm Mini Monitors and CC-350 hooked to my Denon 1801. Excellent combo.
    Kevin

7. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

My 2 cents:
    B&W are GREAT with Denon systems.
    ------------------
    I love to chat about dvd & HT , feel free to yahoo me.YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
    " Master Yoda said I should be mindfull of the future." Obi-Won Kenobie

8. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

My experience with the "Circuit City" mass-market speakers is that they are over-priced and underperforming. I think you will be very impressed with any of the PSB Image series. I just demo'ed the Image 1B (5.25" woofer, aluminum dome tweeter) and was very impressed by the sound come out of those small bookshelf speakers. Obviously they will not extend as low as a floor speaker but the midranges and highs were excellent. For my tastes the tweeter has a very natural amount of detail without coming off as too harsh. The midrange is the strong-point of PSBs as it is actually emphasizes those just a bit but it's very natural and the sound stage is wide and clear. I also demo'd the 3LRs. Lower bass such as a bass guitar come through more strongly, as expected. I was surprised that on some of my reference tracks the more expensive 3LRs did not image as well as the 1Bs.
    With any of the PSB line, even the Alphas, I think you will find a very satisfying speaker with plenty of bang-for-buck.

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Try the Home Theater Direct line of speakers. You should be able to get a pair of Level III mains, center, and sub and the Level II surrounds for that price. You also may want to look at getting the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package now for $750 and a sub later on. Perhaps even go with the nOrh 4.0 for $850 and get the sub later. Another option is to get the JBL NSP1 package and an Audio Adire Rava sub (or SVS 25-31CS and something to power it with). Also check out the lines of speakers from Axiom Audio, AV Reality, and Paradigm. Perhaps buy used or just get the front three speakers and a cheap sub. Whatever you do, buy quality now. It would be foolish to buy a surround setup now and then pay more to upgrade your speakers in another year or less. Good luck!