Speakers for music only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for some suggestion's for a pair of speakers for my living room. I took my old pair and moved them to rear surround duty in my downstairs new 7.1 setup. I have Def-tech for movies downstairs but I want a pair that are more for music. I'll be using a pretty good Yamaha receiver and listen to primarily rock and blues. I have a nice pair of stands, so floor standers are not an option with the WAF. Approx budget of $400 U.S for the pair. Any input would be a big help.

Thanks, Wayner

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a pair of S38 Mk 2's from Best Buy in Canada for 399 (cndn). (for my mom, I use tower rears)

It was the grand opening day for Best Buy in Canada but since that works out to 259 US for the pair it's about the best set of speakers up to 450 CND I've heard.

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I also chose the S38's. I think they are great bookshelves for stereo. They have a lot of kick to 'em for rock- lots of 45-35hz bass. The midrange and tweeter are equally impressive. I wouldn't trade them for anything (under $500 [​IMG]) The only time I feel I need a sub is during low bass rap songs.
    ALSO- the axioms are GREAT also. But I would give the slight nod to the JBL's just for the better extension IMO.

5. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help guys! I'm listening to the JBL's today after work.

6. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I'm selling a pair of Diva 4.1's for around $450 and I must say they are some of the best for 2 channel. Small footprint as well. I must move to monitors.
    SC

7. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

So what did you think of the S38 Mk 2's not bad for 300 US, eh?