What's new

Speakers for mainly HT use?? (1 Viewer)

Mark JM

Agent
OK, so this may seem a little lame but if I am building a HT and my audio system will be used for probably 90% (yes, I said 75% in another thread but thought better of it) HT, movie, HD use, is there a line of speakers to look at that are known to perform better for HT use than for CD/music use or are good speakers just good speakers? I'm leaning towards the Yamaha 1200 receiver if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Mark

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
What is your budget? I'm sure people will be able to give you some great suggestions, but they'll need to know what you have to work with....

--Steve

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I am assuming $500-$600 is for 5 speakers. The Paradigm Performance are great speakers for a reasonable price. Look at the Titans and Atoms with a CC-170 center. It might put you at about $600. Then start saving for a sub. Go to www.paradigm.com to take a look and find a dealer near you to go take a test listen.

Mark JM

Agent
Brian

I was actually thinking abt $500 for the mains, should the rears be the same quality, i had been lead to believe that they didnt have to be. I have an older pair of Infinity Ref 3's, would they be a good choice and put my money elsewhere?

Mark

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
In general, there is a lot more information going to the L/R speakers from a CD rather than a DVD movie. This is why many less-expensive speaker sets sound great with DVD's, but not as good with music. So in general, a speaker set that's good for music will also do great for HT, but not always the reverse.
Since music is a tougher challenge for speakers, you should include at least 1 favorite CD in your audition suite. Make sure it is music you are very familar with so you can notice the subtile differences.
I personally like carrying around a copy of Star Trek:First Contact for auditions. The Borg Battle chapter at the begining starts out with voices and low background noise. Special effects start to come in, as does dramatic music. Then you hit the battle itself with lots of effects & voices. A great workout in about a 5 minute chapter.
Just be careful to avoid bass-heavy chapters (like the lobby shoot-out scene in The Matrix.) These are great workouts for the sub, but dont let you focus on the rest of the speakers.
Good Luck.
PS: Getting your front 3 speakers to be from the same set/tone matched is the most important thing. The rears are BETTER if they are identical to the fronts, but they can be different with little loss.

Mark JM

Agent
Thanks everyone for all the info!! Between here and AVS I've gone from a complete and totally lost newbie to a kinda confused and just partially lost newbie!:) I now have a line on what I want to look at in a front projector, receiver and speakers...now its off to inquire abt subs...you guys ever here of this SVS Company? :b I read about them somewhere...
Thanks again
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks