What's new

Speakers for large open floorplan (1 Viewer)

BrianY

Auditioning
Hello all, I've done lots of reading but this is my first post. I am hoping someone can help with my speaker challenge!
I have a large open family room that I would like to equip with a visually non-intrusive 5.1 speaker system. Ideally, I'd like a sub / micro-sat type of configuration, but am concerned about the ability for small satellites to fill the room. The room is about 17 x 17 with an 18' ceiling, however the space is even more open than that, as it is attached to a two story foyer and an open second floor hallway.
Link Removed
The blue marks will be the speaker locations, with the yellow being the main seating area. My TV and center channel will be housed in an entertainment armoire, while the satellites must be 'white' and wall mounted.
Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
You know the old saying "the bigger the room the bigger your speakers need to be" you can get decent sound{in a big room} with some small speaker setup's that are on the market, but if you want big sound with great bass, you will be out of luck.
Otherwise look into something that you mount in the walls like Klipsch architectural speakers they mount in the walls and ceiling, their are subs that also mount in walls that sound good, i'm sure someone will chime in with more info than I can give, good luck
Mark

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
You may not be able to get 'fill the room' sound with the set up you describe, but there is no reason you can't get GOOD sound with a small sub/sat system. I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 5's (v.2), which are larger size bookshelf speakers, and they fill my room just fine. The SVS sub I pair it with leaves me wanting nothing more, and it really does fill out the room. But if you are willing to sacrifice "big, room filling sound" for very good, accurate sound for your home theater, I'd say you have lots of good options!

Sanjiv

Auditioning
Try the Super Audio series from NHT. You could get SB2's for the front. SB1's for surrounds and SW10 sub. I have these and love them.
Sanjiv

BrianY

Auditioning
Thanks for the input provided so far! Another question on the surround speaker mounting height. My preference is to wall-mount them, hide the wires, etc. However, placing them at the optimal height (ie 2-3' above the listener) is not visually appealing as it conflicts with the decor of the room.
A better mounting location (ie one that satisfies my wife) would be about 9' above the floor (the room has 18' ceiling), where I could point the speakers downward as well as toe them in towards the center of the room, or out towards the side walls. Can anyone offer pros and cons to this approach??
My other option of last resort is to use stands for the surround speakers, but I'd rather keep the wiring and speakers beyond the reach of pets and children :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks