What's new

Speakers for DVD-A (1 Viewer)

JimmyA

Grip
I'm in the process of upgrading my HT with a new receiver and speakers, and am wondering about speaker performance for DVD-Audio playback.

I have a Panasonic CP72 DVD player, which doesn't do any sort of bass management during DVD-A playback (through the 5.1 analog outputs).

Does anyone know if there are any general guidelines that the sound mixers are following when they put together the multichannel tracks? Are they tending to route particular signals to the LFE track (like everything below 80Hz), or are they sending full-range signals to the non-subwoofer track?

Due to space limitations, I have to go with bookshelf speakers for the Mains and small satellites for the surround/back speakers.

Here's what I'm currently looking at:
Klipsch RB-3II's for the mains (rated down to 52Hz +- 3db)
Klipsch RC-3II center channel (rated to 49Hz)
Mirage Omnisats for the surrounds (rated to 70Hz)
SVS 25-31 subwoofer (or it's box-equivalent when it comes out in a couple of months)

The receiver will most-likely be the Pioneer 45TX

I understand from reading a number of threads in the Music forum that there is a noticeable dropoff in bass levels on the subwoofer when playing DVD-A sources, compared to Dolby/DTS material, so I'm wondering how much my speaker choice will restrict my listening enjoyment on DVD-A material.

I'd be curious to hear feedback from others who are playing DVD-A material through speakers with limited bass-handling capabilities.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I vaguely remember that for multichannel music playback, you need monopole speakers all around, i.e. no dipoles or bipoles for your surrounds.

Mirage Omnisats are, I think, "omnipolar", whatever that means (saw it in advertising literature), so I'm not sure how that fits into the scheme of things.

Mark All

Second Unit
My understanding of DVD-A is that most discs are produced with the intent of putting a full range signal into each of 5 channels, with some mixes using the center channel more than others. You have to be able to redirect bass to the subwoofer channel to make full use of your subwoofer with DVD-A if you don't have full range speakers in all four corners of the room. This is why recommendations for DVD-A use I've seen recommend either (1) having full range speakers for all 5 channels, (2) using an Outlaw ICBM for bass management if the source player doesn't have effective analog bass management, or (3) getting a receiver or controller with analog bass management. Personally, I have direct radiating full-range speakers for the 5 channels so I have no great need for further processing the analog signals. I have a CP72 for its picture quality but still use a Toshiba SD-9200 for its DVD-A capabilities.

You may find that the DTS (digital) tracks on DVD-A discs will sound better on your system than the analog versions unless you invest further to get the bass redirected to the subwoofer effectively. It seems the most cost effective option for you to get what you want from DVD-A is to go with the ICBM.

I have about a dozen DVD-A discs now. REM's "Automatic for the People" is outstanding in this format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks