Speakers for Denon 3801

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Altmyer, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Michael Altmyer

Michael Altmyer Auditioning

I've had my Denon 3801 for about a year and a half now. I've been running with some super cheap JVC satellites and sub. I'm ready to upgrade my speakers to something more reasonable. I'm wondering what brands I should start looking at. I'm looking for five speakers plus sub and I would like to stay under $2000, $1500 if possible. I've been eyeing Infinity Interludes for some time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Alex*P

Alex*P Extra

forget the infinity's. the line is not what it used to be,unfortunately.

look at paradigm. they have options w/in your $ range and they match up beautifully w/ Denon. I know because that's what my system is--Denon/paradigm.

another very good speaker for that money is klipsch.
    in either case you should testdrive before buying because you can spend alot of money on either line,going up to top of the line,and i mean top of the line.
    the speaker systems available in your $ range by these two makers are absolutely incredible. i give the edge to paradigm.
    anyone else?

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Michael:
    I had Energy encores with my 3801 which sounded great. With your budget you can easily upgrade to the Connoisseur series which would sound even better.
    You can view them here.
    Good luck!

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You might want to look at the JBL Studio Series for speakers, and a SVS sbuwoofer. Also, i'm going to include a pair of back surrounds in my suggestion since the 3801 has a full 7 channels of amplification.
    For around $1700 i would reccomend the following:
    Mains - JBL S310-Z ($392/pair, www.harmanaudio.com)
    Center - JBL S Center ($128, www.dealznet.com)
    Surrounds - JBL S38-Z ($297/pair, www.harmanaudio.com)
    Back Surrounds - JBL S38-Z ($297/pair, www.harmanaudio.com)
    Subwoofer - SVS 16-46PCi - ($599, www.svsubwoofers.com)
    This would be a really great system in your price rance with an amazing sub. If you wanted to get on down to the $1500 price point, you could get the 25-31PCi sub instead, replace the back surrounds w/ another S center for 6.1, or even drop the back all together and go 5.1.

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Whichever speakers sound the best to you....[​IMG]

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

If you want to spend 2K on speakers that sound like 5K, check out these. They are very well thought of on these Forums.

7. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I have Denon 3801 as well match with Axiom's M60ti main and VP150 center. I can't be happier with these speakers when watching movies and listening to dvd-a, Crisp and clear. also bass is clean and tight.

Also take a listen to PSB's Image series, B&W 600 series and Paradigm Monitor series.

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Klipsch Reference series