What's new

Speakers for about $1000 (1 Viewer)

Dani Anton

Auditioning
I have a Sony STR-DA5ES receiver at home and I would like to set it up with a set of speakers for my HT.
What good choices I have for about $1000, considering that I prefer bookshelf speakers?
FYI the Sony is 110 watt/channel if I'm not mistaken.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Dani,

Yes, 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 surround, (maybe 1 center back) and 1 sub.
Well, for $1000 or less, I think JBL is one of the best options. You could buy

Four S26 $350
S Center $140
SVS 25-31Pci $550

This is not exactly $1000, but it is very close, and for the money is a great setup.

george king

Supporting Actor
How fixed is the $1K budget. You could go over to Brian at
Link Removed
and have him build you 2 pairs of M-1s a C-1 and a sub. Brian is a great guy, and these will outperform most "commerical" speakers by a long shot. The price will probably be a little over $1K
Hope this helps.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Another JBL setup to consider would be JBL S38 ($250) mains, S26 ($160) surrounds, S Center ($130), and the SVS 25-31PCi ($550). That comes out to $1090, and would sound amazing. The S38s are some of the best mass-market speakers, and really amaze for their size. You could add another S Center or another pair of S26 on down the road for the back. I've even heard of Studio users running a N Center for the rear, since there's never alot of action there, and therefore, the timbre matching isn't AS important. Still, i'd stick with all the same series if it permits.

Hope this helps.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Rocket is supposed to be coming out with a smaller speaker package with a new Rocket subwoofer. I wonder when that will be ready and how much it will cost?

Dani Anton

Auditioning
It looks like the JBL S series all around would be a good choice. I think I will take them.
But I haven't seen them anywhere as cheap as you said they are.
I saw:
S38 - about 280, not 250
S26 - about 190, not 160
S Center - about 170, not 130.
SVS 25-35PCI - didn't find them anywhere.
I am willing to pay the extra 90 bucs, but where would I get them at this price? Does that include s/h?

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
That is because SVS subs can only be purchased over the web / phone. You can visit www.svsubwoofers.com to get more information about them.
Email their support if you have specific questions on what you want to do. They have always been *EXTREMELY* helpful to me and others on this board.
Matthew

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The Rocket ELT HTIB including sub is supposed to be priced at around $900.00, but until it is released, your next best bet is the Ascend Acoustic package with the Hsu VTF-2 sub.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
All my prices (except the SVS, www.svsubwoofers.com) were quoted from the lowest price i found on shopping.yahoo.com. I've never had a single problem with any of the vendors i've purchased from on yahoo shopping. It's a great search tool.
Hope this helps.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
You should look at the new Dahlquists at: Link Removed talk to Marc H. these are relatively affordabale.
I have a full set for around $1500, you can get a really nice set in your price range..and this stuff sounds really, really good.
Look at the QX6's or some of the low end floor-standing ones...
You will save buying form Canada!
Alex
PS:I am driving them with a STR-DA4ES.

JimmyAGR

Auditioning
Dani,

I have the JBL s-38's front and rear, the s center and the pb12 sub hooked up to a Sony 3es. Sounds great to me. I purchased it from J and R in NYC. Where in NY are you? They have free shipping on JBL.

Joe Sabato

Auditioning
I agree with the others that the JBL Studio series are great for the $$$. I have S38's and the S Center in front and S36's in the rear. They will play very loud and clean. I paid $ 765.00 for them, and I have seen them lower since I bought them over a year ago.

I am using the subwoofer section of a pair of old AR towers for low bass right now and they do a great job( F3 of 28). I plan on either upgrading the woofers ( at 20+ years old the foam is starting to deteriorate), or just go to a DIY Infinite baffle setup with 2-4 15" drivers.

If you have the right location, you can buy what you need for a 2 driver IB setup and amp for about 450.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks