What's new

speakers for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
I've narrowed my future speaker purchase down to the following 2 speakers: B&W DM604 S3 or Axiom M80ti. I've read lots on both and it's fairly well known that the B&W's are more subdued and the Axioms could be a little on the bright side.

So I'm looking for some personal experiences and what others would choose. Does not one person in any of these forums have anything bad to say about Axiom (haven't heard anything yet)? I'd hate to think they're perfect.

I plan on powering them with a Marantz 9200 receiver and I listen to about 70% TV(dig.sat) & DVD Movies and 30% Music (mostly rock). But I do prefer my Music to sound as near perfect as possible. Will either of these speakers perform better in this type of situation?

Thanks in advance for every ones help.:)

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I was a brand spanking newbie once. I still am for that matter. The only bad thing I can say about my Axiom's...I couldn't audition them first. That being said, it didn't matter about the non-audition. I auditioned everything possible at the local B and M's. I bought the Axioms on a hunch and some good advice. I've never had buyers remorse. I am sure that all ears are different though. Good luck on your search. BTW, for the price I paid, I find it hard to believe they can be beat.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The only thing that could possibly negative that I have heard is that the Axioms need a "break-in" period...30 hours or so. After that, it is smooth sailing.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
B&Ws need that break in too, if not moreso. Take a listen to the CDM series from B&W. Much better IMO than the 600 series, even given the lack of bass of the smaller units.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Take a listen to the CDM series from B&W. Much better IMO than the 600 series...
I couldn't agree more. I don't think you really get into the "true" B&W sound 'til you reach the CDM line. I have a pair of 9NT's along with the matching center and surrounds. These speakers sound great.
I upgraded to the B&W's from an all Axiom set-up. I had M40's, a VP100 center and M3's as surrounds. For the money, IMHO, Axiom's are tough to beat. They make some really good speakers that'll give much more expensive speakers a run for their money.
The weak links in Axiom's line-up, as far as I'm concerned, are their center-channel speakers. I had the VP100 and found it rather underwhelming. I've heard some say that the VP150 is better but I never got the chance to listen to one. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just get another M3 and use that as my center.
So, anyway, all that being said, I'd go for the M80ti's. Just make sure your Marantz will be able to handle the load since I think they're 4ohm speakers. Throw in an M3 as a center and either a pair of QS8's or M3's as surrounds, depending on your taste, and you'd have a SWEET system.

As far as the Axiom's being bright, I like to think of them as being transparent. The B&W's have a more recessed midrange, but better highs and deeper lows, at least to my ears. I think most of the complaints about Axiom's being "bright" are from people who have just never heard that level of clarity or transparency and label it as brightness.

Good luck!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Usually when I think "Newbie" I think of a Fluance or other low-end setup. You're looking at some pretty serious stuff there.

I have B&W 6 series speakers all around, they were the best sounding in my price range. I listened to the 603s and even 604s and thought they sounded only slightly better than the 602s (the 602 actually sounded better than the 603s to me). If you're considering the B&W 604s, you really owe it to yourself to give the better B&W bookshelves a listen. If I had that kind of budget and was a B&W fan (which I am) I wouldn't be going with the 604s.

Also, if you like the sound of B&Ws, I suggest you look for your local Thiel dealer. They have a similar sonic signature, but the Theils are much more refined IMO. I think you can get Thiel CS1.6 speakers speakers in the price range of the 604s.

Once again, that's what I would do. :)

Anyway, what about the other 3, 4, or 5 speakers? Or are we just talking stereo?

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
The 30 hour break in is a myth IMHO. My Axioms sound the same as when I unpacked them, which is simply awesome.

Real Name
Scott
thanks for all the advice

Philip, don't worry, I may be a newbie, but I knew enough to stay away from Fluance when I heard the sales pitch at the store. Sure wish they could cut the retail in half on B&W's just when you said you weren't interested (ha,ha).

As far as the Marantz being able to handle the lower impotence, I've asked on a few different forums, and the few people that replied thought there wouldn't be a problem. I didn't talk to anyone running a 9200 specifically, but some guys using lower models said they hadn't had a problem. I'm also not one of the guys that would be constantly pushing the system to the limit. So I'm hoping no problems

I'll ask this to everyone then, since you all seem to be of the same opinion, are the CDM 7NT or 9NT not a lot more expensive than the 600 series. I hadn't really looked at them much, but assumed they were likely out of my price range. Is there any on-line retailer that carries B&W products so I could compare?

Thanks everyone

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Haha! Those freudian slips plague us all!

An as for the 9200, I think it's more than plenty to handle lower impedance speakers like those B&Ws. That looks like one behemoth of a receiver, even if it may be a little impotent. ;)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I wrote Flucance not Nuance, but I understand the flub. Fluance speakers represent very good value in home speakers for newbies.

Nobody is allowed to sell B&W online, you'll have to go to a local store to audition the other models. Get a stack of CDs and get going! :)

Real Name
Scott
yeah, and the bad thing is I think the spell-checker did that to me...oh well.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll have to get going to the nearest dealer and have myself a listen to the CDMs.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Scottie
The B&W web site has MSRP and you should be able to get 10% off from your local dealer. Maybe a tad more- when I bought my CDM's I was able to get ~15% which I felt was a great deal. Quick ref
7nt's $1000 each
9nts $1300 each
Nautilus 805 $1000 each
604's $700 each

Jeff

Real Name
Scott
thanks Jeff
I knew I'd seen it on there site before, but couldn't remember how to get the numbers. Played around long enough and figured it out today.

thanks
Scottie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks