Speakers for a bathroom.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

All,

Who here runs a set of speakers in their bathroom?

My wife loves to listen to the radio in the morning. She has a little clock radio but to hear it over the shower it has to be cranked up a bit and just hurts the ears. I have an extra receiver that I'd like to use for the Master Bedroom / Bathroom and coupled with a nice speaker or speakers should be much easier on the ears.

I'm not sure where to mount them (ceiling or wall) and not sure if I should go with one dual voice coil speaker per room or with a pair per room. I'm looking for something that will have a nice over all sound (highs and lows) and not break the bank.

Any ideas?

I did a search on "Bathroom" but it really didn't find what I was looking for.

2. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I currently have a pair of Optimus 7's surface mounted on the wall in my master bath. Paid about $40-50 for them at Rat Shack when they had one of their buyone-getone sales. They've been up there for about 7 years with no ill effects from the moisture. I'm planning on replacing them with a pair of Home Theater Direct Level 1 in-walls ($60) in the near future. Not that I'm unhappy with the sound of the little Rat Shacks, just want a cleaner looking install. No point in spending a lot, as the bathroom isn't exactly a very friendly acoustic environment.

-Dave

3. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

You can look into the N24AWII's from JBL (there's also the N26AWII's). They're weather resistant so moisture won't harm them. They come with wall-mount brackets which is a nice extra [​IMG]

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree with Greg on that one, the Optimus's aren't a bad choice either. Cheap with a decent sound... although moisture effects vary depending on size of bathroom and such.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Be sure to install a bass shaker on the toilet [​IMG]

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The best speakers I've ever used in a bathroom are Rolen Stars.... the invisible speaker. We ran them off an old reciever located in the bed room and placed the speakers on the common wall of the bedroom/bathroom on the bedroom side. Later we placed them in the attic just above the bathroom. Room filling sound without any speaker actually being seen.
    I do believe these would be more widely used if more persons actually knew about them and how they work.

8. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Isn't anyone going to recommend the Fl(at)u(l)ance line?[​IMG]

That's a really crappy joke and my face is flushed.

9. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

HAHAHA! You guys are awful! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for all the recommendations. I must admit that the Rolen Star transducers are intriguing. I'm going to do a search for more info on these. If I can find enough positive reviews on them I will definitely pick up a pair or two. The price is right. If no positive reviews then I'll go with the old tried and true.

10. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

interesting stuff, the transducers hmm..

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

12. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd choose a speaker that doesn't sound too bright, and I'd try and keep the placement away from the corners so as not the mess the sound too much.

JBL outdoors could work fine.

13. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Well you know what would be funny put a big sub and a huge set of towers in the shower, now dont turn the water on and cover the doors so you cant see in, and when someone goes in the crapper to do a #2 crank it up full blast and litteraly scare the s### out of them[​IMG] [​IMG] HAHA would that be awsome!!!!!

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Glad yall looked into the Rolen Stars.........lederers is a great place to buy them too. There's two ways to mount them also....... one is a two ended screw hat fits in the transducer itself, the other end screws into a piece of plywood (usually 12x12 to 16x16) that is then attached to your target surface.......... the other choice is the small mounting plate that screws into the transducer and then attaches to your surface with double sided tape. Either works great for a ceiling mount in the attic. Personally, I used the small mounts and double sided tape. For mounting on an existing wall where the stud side is not available, test your sound locations by just holding the transducer and mount against the wall, then when you decide the "where", apply the double sided tape and stick it up. Beware, though, as when you try to remove them, you'll probably do a little damage to the wall.
    Actualy, I didn't do any testing...... I wanted mine out of side and placed them behind my dresser and the bathroom sound on the other side was a bonus...... Later tried the attic/ceiling location......... you'll like these things.

I know a lady who is building a house and is using 80 of these Rolen Stars throughout. An install like that requires a complex arrangment of transformers and such though and she told me her contractor charged her $100 per transducer plus an install/ hookup fee of $3800.......and that did not include the wiring! She was sick when I gave her some links such as lederers.com...........