speakers for $300

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Goslee, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

Hello. I am currently setting up a ht for my girlfriend as a Christmas present. She already has a tv and dvd player. I will be purchasing a reciever and speakers seperatly. I have a $500 budget. I've read that I should spend the majority of my money on good speakers. So my question is are there some good quality speakers for $300 or less. Thanks for all replies.

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

How many speakers? How big a room? What receiver?

3. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

It's a small room. Maybe 10' x 10'. I havent bought the reciever yet. I was going to buy the speakers first. Eventually I want a 5.1 but I am willing to start with a 2.1 and then upgrade later.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I think this is what your budget might allow:

- Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5860, approximately $325 from on-line vendors.

- Speakers: A pair of Infinity Primus 60 (bookshelf) speakers. Approximately $170 from on-line vendors.

5. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

I think I'm set on just getting a decent reciever and a pair of good quality bookshelf speakers for now and then getting the center and woofer later. I found the Yamaha HTR5850 6.1 reciever for $299. I also found these speakers Yamaha NS333 bookshelf and Polk Audio T20EB Bookshelf for $129. This was at the local tweeter. Are these speakers worth getting and trying to build a system around or should I be looking somewhere else?

6. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

You can try for a Panasonic XR55 for about $250 shipped. They can be found on Amazon or JR.com.

Also, these HTD bookshelves are on clearance for $300:

http://www.htd.com/clitcastsp.html

Or if you can, wait for these from AV123 ($200/pair). They'll be shipping around the first or second week of the new year:

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...&highlight=xls

AV123's Ref 0.5s for $299/pair:

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=80.1

Also, they'll be some Ascend 170s (original version) availavailable, as the newer SE versions are shipping.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

All the afore-mentioned speakers definitely would outperform the yamaha. I'm not familiar with that particular Polk model, however.

7. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

Nhan thanks for the links. I think I'm all set. I've decided to go with a yamaha htr 5850 reciever and a pair of polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers. I found the speakers for $250 which will keep me close to my budget. I do have one final question. This might sound dumb but I really don't know. What kind of cables do I need to hook the speakers up to the reciever? I've never bought speakers before so Im not sure if they come with cables.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Jesse,

For speaker cables, head to Home Depot and pick up some of their 12 gauge speaker wire. It is sold by the foot. You don't need to invest in multi-buck cables. The 12 gauge cable is very adequate.

9. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

Thanks everyone!

10. Matt Rohr

Matt Rohr Agent

I would look at some lightly used speakers also on Ebay. You would be surprised what you can find. Buddy of mine purchase some B&W speakers for half of retail![​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's not uncommon to find "known" name brand speakers for 50% off on the used market. Some brands may hold more value due to market pricing, but if you pay much more than 50% for something like Paradigm or B&W, you're not really getting a deal.

I would have said the Micra 6 package for $299, but they're sold out at Best Buy. Next would be the Dayton 10 from www.partsexpress.com for $99 and the Athena Point 5 from www.onecall.com for $199.

12. Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I highly suggest Axiom's M3ti speakers. They frequently get excellent reviews and are known for a significant bang for your buck at $300/pair. I have a set myself and am very impressed.