Speakers distorting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Whiting, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have a H/k avr 220 and some aad c 800 speakers.
    http://www.aadsound.com/Products%20P...ct%20page.html
    The manual says they are 12 ohms and they have 4 drivers like in the picture.
    When I crank it up on bass heavy music, the bass begins distorting. (about -5 on the volume control). Is this the speakers not handling the bass or the reciever clipping.
    Is there a general rule to tell the difference between the two?
    THanks

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

sometimes hard to tell. If you hear a pop or slap from the drivers that is usually overdriving them.

But - if the bass starts to loose a taught sound and starts getting sloppy that can be too little power.

I'm sure some folks can offer a better explanation. Those speakers look like there are two passive radiators and two active mid drivers. I've owned speakers of such a design - they couldn't handle much power because there isn't much dampening in that large cabinet for two small 6.5 drivers.

How bass heavy are we talking? Rap? R&B? Techno?

3. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Drum and bass music.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

With drum and bass being so demanding on amplifier power, I'd say the Harman is just running out of steam at the levels you desire. An outboard power amp should help. Something at least 150 watts per channel or more to make a noticable improvement. A powered sub with a filtered high level output for the speakers would be another suggestion too.

5. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

Not enough power in the amp. Try the HK 2.1 signature amp, it can be had for about $450.00 used.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it's likely your receiver. those speakers (actually rated at 6ohms) look pretty hungry - having two active woofers doesn't help. [​IMG]

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    >homer voice< Must have sub for drum & bass. Mmmmm...drum & bass....>drool< [​IMG]