What's new

Speakers? Decent for home system (1 Viewer)

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

I have speakers that are about 5 years old (JBL G300s and G200s). I'm looking to possibly replace them since they are big and I don't have anywhere to mountt hem in my new house. My receiver is a Sony DE545 that is less than a year old.

I'm debating normal speakers versus the tiny little satellite speakers. Can anyone recommend any ones in particular? I'm not looking for really high end, jsut wahtever I can pick up with a trip to my local Besy Buy type store.

Any opinions or whatever would be great.

Thanks,

--Mike

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Some ideas

Energy Take 5.2

Acoustic Research HC-6

Acoustic Research HC-2

Paradigm whatever

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I second the Energy take 5's. An excellent Mid-FI sattelite set up. If you can go with bigger bookshelf soeakers, I would recommend the Paradigm "Atoms" for a Great sounding speaker system for a great price. However you wont find these at Best Buy but they are about the same price as you would pay for something decent from there.

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the Energy set gets great reviews. I've heard that the AR sets are even slightly better.

But I agree with the Paradigm recommendation. I have very nice Vandersteen fronts (3A's and CC-1 center) but I use Paradigm dipole surrounds and think they are great. If not for the Vandersteen's (have to kill me first to get them away) I would be Paradigm all around.

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Then my only other question is, for those sets not available at Best Buy (or whatever) where is the best place to get them at the best price online?

I should also add that because of budgeting restraints, I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars on them either. I don't necessarily need all the speakers, mainly just the rears (if they are available seperately) since my center and fronts are still working just fine.

Thanks,

--Mike

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Mike,

If ya want bang for buck recommendations, what's your budget. If ya want bang for room recs, describe your room (size - LxWxH, flooring, etc).

HT? Music? Both? Have a sub?

What don't you like about your current speakers other than size?

If ya read thru the threads here, I think you'll find that most agree that the tiny satellite speakers cannot produce the frequency range for quality listening.

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Main thing is the price. Room isn't it's own room, it opens up in the back so I'm not worried about that. Main thing is replacing the rear speakers if I can find smaller ones that will sound good. There is nothing wrong with them, other than they are big and I don't have anywhere to put them.

And now I don't have a sub yet but might be picking up one this weekend.

--MIke

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
go to Best Buy and get a Sony SA-WM40 sub for ~$150. almost everyone here will agree that it is the best sub for under $300.
also look at the JBL NSP1 speaker package while you're there. www.jandr.com sells it for $299. this is also a highly recommended bang-for-the-buck system. i own these speakers and can tell you that they sound great for the price.

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like BB has it for $199. Just got a 10% off coupon the other day so I guess that's be $179. Of course checking ebay shwos a few for cheaper still so we'll see.

I was also looking at the some WM20 but it looks like it's smaller and weaker, and of course half the price. hmmm.

Thanks for the input.

--Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks