Speakers cutting out at high volumes

tens83

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I am running a Yamaha RX-v577 HT receiver along with 4 floor standing and 1 center Klipsch speakers. I am also using a 200 W Klipsch sub. This whole set up is brand new and I have checked and rechecked the speaker wire to make sure no wires are bare to short out. The problem I am having is I enjoy listening to music dvd's loud and my speakers cut out when I listen to it loud. I am convinced it has to do with the volume because they only cut out at high volume levels. My speakers are rated at 100/w 8 ohms and my receiver I believe is 90 w/channel or 540 w total. I am using 16 gauge wire. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My guess would be your receiver doesn't have enough power for what you are trying to do and is trying to protect itself and your speakers from damage. Do you have your speakers set to small? This might help, allowing less bass going to the towers will reduce the strain on the receiver.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Wow - are your ears bleeding before or after the speakers cut out?

I checked quickly and the Klipsch floorstanders are around 95-99db sensitivity

These shouldn't take much power to drive at all

Try running just stereo (2 fronts) and see what happens
Maybe it is overheating?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Klipsch are sensitive, but that doesn't mean they won't draw a lot of current during demanding stuff. We also don't know how big his room is.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
^ gotcha

tens83 - more info needed

1. Size of room
2. Klipsch model type
3. Speakers cut out permanently? or intermittantly
4. Receiver goes into protection mode?
5. Receiver gets hot?

tens83

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
OK, thanks for the replies. It is going into protection mode, it shuts off completely/permanently. It is not getting hot. It didn't shut off with just the front on but I'm not sure if I had it at the same level as when I am listening to a concert in 5.1. I am at work and don't have the model numbers of the speakers that's why I didn't include it. I just remembered looking at the tag on the back of the speakers last night and seeing 100 w - 8 ohms. The room is very large, about 40x50. I believe I have the speaker size set to large thinking that would fill the room more.

Yes, after many years of live concerts and working on the deck of any aircraft carrier my hearing is bad...so in answer to the one question I am sure my ears are bleeding before it cuts out.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I'd say you're going to need a bit more power. That room is pretty darn LARGE. I'd try setting all the speakers to small and see how it does, and if it still cuts out, you might need to look into adding an amp or a receiver upgrade.

tens83

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the input. I will give this a try tonight. I ran into the same problem with an Onkyo of lesser power so I am thinking you might be right about needing more power.

tens83

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I measured my room last night and I was way off in my estimate yesterday. The room is more like 36x26. For speakers I am using a set of Klipsch SF1's, a set of SF2's, an RC 10 center speaker, and a KSW 12 200w sub. The speakers say they can handle 100 w of contiuos power each. My receiver is the Yamaha RXV577 at 90 watts. Does this sound like a logical setup for my room and the fact that I like loud, clear sound?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ignote the wattage rating on the speakers, as that is almost a useless number. The 90w is reasonable, however when you turn it up, you leave yourself little or no headroom for the receiver to handle heavy passages (lots going on, lots of bass, etc...) That is still quite a large room. My current room is 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and it is open to the kitchen as well. Probably a bit smaller than your room with 91.5dB sensitive speakers, though they are also 4 Ohm, and I found that I needed plenty of power to fill this room. The other factor is, is how realistic that 90w is...or rather how solid the power supply in that receiver is. It would seem to be sufficient, just not for the levels that you are looking for.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canzanareview