Speakers comparable to Paradigm studio line for less $$$$

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    What are the current online offerings that are comprible to say studio 20s or 40s for less? I know paradigms are considered a great bargin already, and I really like my monitor series, but I was thinking about an upgrade. Problem is, I have lapsed my 1 year upgrade option on the digms, so I'd have to sell the monitor series (maybe on audiogon??) and then see what I have to work with. I'm not apposed to switching my monitor 7s to smaller bookshelves for mains to get smoother response and better imaging. Any thoughts?

2. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

If you are willing to travel to Canada, there aren't any comparables for less money. Simply stated, for the price you will pay for Studios up north (approx 35% off US MSRP), they can't be touched IMHO!

Oh yeah, if you are looking to sell your monitor series speaks, sell them on ebay. I actually made money on my speakers which were approximately 3 years old, but then again I bought them in Canada.

JK

3. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

the diva 6.1's have been compared favorably to the paradigm studio line by some. check out www.av123.com

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The PSB Stratus line of speakers are in the same league as the Paradigm Reference Studio series. However, personally I prefer the Stratus line. I found the Stratus Silveri to outperform the Paradigm Studio/60 and Studio/80, but I haven't heard the Studio/100. The Stratus Goldi simply blew away all competition.

Other speakers I would consider to be in the same league are the Dynaudio Audience series(entry-level Dynaudio, the Contours are quite a bit better, and also more expensive).

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I guess another thought I've had is... what if I ebayed what I have now and put the money into a DIY project like kit 281s from Adire? I think I could probably pay for 3 281s (L/C/R) and 4 81s (surrounds) kits and most of the building materials with what I could get out of my current monitor setup. Are the 281s on par with anything in the studio series (listener preferances not withstanding)?

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Damn you Jack, how dare you point out that my questions make no sense! [​IMG]. OK how do they compare, listener preferances withstanding [​IMG]? I know HTT is a big adire forum. Maybe I should post over there with just the current paradigm monitors upgraded to paradigm studios or adire kits question.