Speakers clicking during calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by altan, Jan 9, 2003.

1. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

(I posted this under hardware, but maybe it should be here)

My Studio/20s click when playing the Avia calibration tones. This scares me and I never finish calibration.

Specifically, instead of the constant white noise, I get white noise with clicks. This occurs way before reaching even 75dB on the SPL meter. (In another thread I suggested by SPL meter may be bad -- any way to test it?)

Is my receiver clipping? Or is this some Avia thing?

(For what its worth, this is with a HK525 w/70 Watts. I did the calculations and didn't expect this behavior. When I calibrate with the EzSet it works and there is no clicking.)

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

... Altan

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Look at your woofers to see if they are really throbbing. If the woofers are really moving, then that means that you are driving too large of a bass tone through your speakers. The clicking would then be the sound of the woofer's voice coil hitting the backplate of the motor structure. That damages the voice coil of the speaker and over time will result in unlistenable (and eventually, non-working) drivers in your speakers.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I think there is a problem with the DVD you are using. The SPL meter can not do this, all it can do is measure the loadness.
    Does this clicking happen on the test noise your reveiver makes when you set-up your speakers? Have you ever had this problem before? Did you rent the Avia disc? 75db is not load, you are not clipping your amps at 75db unless you are a qtr mile away.
    Does it happen at 65db? 70db? Have you got a fresh battery in your meter. If your meter was wrong and for some reason you were playing this pink noise so load that you were clipping it would be so load I think you would realize that you were doing something wrong, It would be like a jet plane taking off in your living room.