What's new

Speakers? - - Cerwin-Vega ? (1 Viewer)

Zena

Auditioning
After trolling through and reading many of the past questions we are now not leaning towards a HTiB route....
While looking into some of the recommended receivers I stumbled across some Cerwin Vega speakers (AVS-632)on a close out sale for $250. Someone told me Cerwin Vega was top of the line ...but cannot seem to find much info about the them.
Anyone with experience or heard anything about Cerwin Vega?

I think I understand that the receiver & speakers are not place to skimp BUT we are also trying not to go too far over our intial $700, 800... budget.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Well, Cerwin Vega aren't normally classified as audiophile speakers; my local audio dealer, who sold quite a few of them, used to refer to them as 'the headbangers' due to the music they were often used with.

Their primary goal seems to be to produce the loudest audio possible. Their high sensitivity figures are legendary, although I've personally found their midrange and high frequencies to be more than a little raw and their bass extension limited (although what there is is often very aggressive).

Their home theatre packages seem to be more highly regarded. If they're within your budget then an audition may be in order.

Adam

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi zena -
a couple of thoughts on speakers.
1. you must audition them in your home. speakers never sound the same in the showroom.
2. sound is subjective. if *you* like the way they sound, then that is all that matters.
that being said...
i'm not a big fan of cerwin vegas. they're really loud and boomy. they're good if you want to crank your music, but if accuracy is important to you, you may also want to consider some other brands.
again, you need to audition for yourself and see. try to audition as many different speakers as you can. bring music that you are familiar with too.
good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks