speakers caused discoloration on tv...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_MJ, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Andrew_MJ

Andrew_MJ Auditioning

Hey guys,

I have a 32" Sony and stupidly had my Infinity IL10's about 6 inches away on either side, and now both bottom corners are discolored...one slightly blue, one slightly yellow. I had the speakers that way for about 3 weeks, and have since moved them to about 1.5 feet away on either side(the room is small so it's difficult to do). Anyways, do I need to get a service guy in to re-calibrate the TV or what not, or will this problem just go away now that the speakers are far enough away. One guy suggested I unplug the TV at night to speed the process.

Any help appreciated!

2. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I use to have a direct view RCA and the speakers would cause the discolorations. Even my center channel that was shielded would cause problems. I noticed that when you moved the speakers, the discoloration would go away pretty quick if not instantaneously. So if it sticks around then the speakers are still interfering or the tv may have a problem. Good luck.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Unplug the TV and let it sit (for a hour or so). Then plug it in and try it again. This way, it will have a chance to degauss itself.

4. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I did this to my parents TV as a kid about 35 years ago,:b I had a big magnet,and saw how cool it looked when you put it up to the TV screen[​IMG] ALL kinda colors about the size of a golf ball if i remember correctly.Luckily it healed[​IMG]

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Here's a trick that sometimes works - turn the TV on and off about 10 times in succession.

6. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

every time you power cycle the television, it runs through a degauss cycle, which over time, should repair the signal. Turning the television on and off to many times in quick succession can damage the degauss circuit. I personally am running into this problem too. My electrostatic speakers are in storage because of lack or room, and my cone speakers are discoloring the screen in the top corners.
    For a quick fix, search the internet for techniques to manually degauss the screen. Generally, a small fridge magnet, and a circular sweeping motion around the television in a spiral works (Find actual methods, don't use my generalization [​IMG] )

7. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

-I- wouldn't ever user a standard magnet on MY TV...here's why:
    I am going on the assumption that computer monitors and direct view CRTs are of the same basic technology.
    A few years back we had a monitor at work that started getting rainbow colors in the corners due to some crappy speakers that were too close. Someone recomended the above solultion...take a magnet and move it in spirals.
    Ok, so I did this...and ended up with one totally useless rainbow color monitor. Oops.
    Another friend said to try a soldering GUN...the kind where you click the trigger and it gets hot. Inside is an electromagnet, which is why it's humming (so I was told).
    What the heck...the monitor's wasted now anyway. I moved the gun close to the monitor and clicked...the whole thing went wavy. I moved it in a spiral around the outside of the monitor...low and behold, the rainbow color went away and it was blue again like the background should have been. Note that I did this with the monitor powered on. So, I spiraled around longer, slowing down in the heavier rainbow colored areas. Eventually the monitor was one solid blue color, and all text/colors showed up correctly again!
    So...based on my OWN experience, I wouldn't ever try a standard bar (or round) magnet to fix a guassing issue. I'd try a soldering gun if it didn't clear itself up after a few weeks of powering on/off.
    As with any type of advice like this, your mileage may vary, use at your own risk. [​IMG]
    -Seth

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Andrew, how about an update on your TV?

9. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

In the same direction as the soldering iron, try using a blow dryer. It works on the same principal as the electromagnetic field created by the soldering gun. Have used it many times and works great. Just remember the monitor must be on for this to work.

10. Rob Bruce

Rob Bruce Agent

Yeah, magnets can be dangerous, that's why I suggested a fridge magnet, which I use occasionally, because it is a very weak magnet, and is difficult to cause damage to the CRT with such a weak magnet, of course, there's always a risk in doing anything.