What's new

speakers, BIC America? (1 Viewer)

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
"I would only recommend the Primus line if you are driving them with excessive power. The other speaker lines you are considering would likely be more forgiving with AVR power and outperform Primus. In my experience Primus is justification for a powerful dedicated amp, without it they seem anemic and thin."

If this is true, then somewhere down the line, after I get the whole system assembled, I may look into some dedicated amps. What is the best way to go about purchasing dedicated amps. Ive looked online at A4L, and even their 5 channel amps are expensive. I'm assuming it may be cheaper to just buy a 2 channel amp for my mains, then another amp for my center? As someone else mentioned on this forum in another thread, amp your mains and center and let the AVR power the surrounds?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Youll likely be fine, ignorance is bliss. Going from AVR to amp wont be real obvious. However amp to AVR, after youre used to the performance an amp gives them, it immediately left a bad taste in my mouth. Its also about how you listen. I personally like high impact and as tight a midrange as I can get. I also listen to my music and movies pretty loud, rock and action respectively. I think the Primus is more power demanding than most choices in your price range, so when you put it all together its not really a surprise I would notice a difference between an AVR and amp. Depending on your speaker choice and listening habits you, on the other hand, may never notice the difference.

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
thanks, like i said, i may look into it down the line, not going to worry about it just yet.

now, for my surrounds and sub. i was thinking about the p163 bookshelf speakers for my surrounds, however, im wondering if those might be a bit overkill as surrounds and maybe i should look at one of their lesser lines, maybe the 153's or 143's.

for the sub, im thinking probably a 12" is going to be enough, unless i can find a good deal on a 15". What is the difference between the front firing and down firing? does it make any difference in the sound?

Im wanting to find a sub that goes into the under 30Hz range, with plenty of power to make the bass heard and felt, cleanly. im going to start comparing prices to numbers and see what i come up with, but do any of you have a recommendation?

also, in this image below, notice i have my sub on the left of my TV, away from the corner. If I were to move it to the other side, in the corner, how would that effect the sound. I want my sub to have a good clean, deep sound, but dont want it to be boomy, would the corner enhance the sound, or would it make it worse?

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 94

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I will give you three movies that would beg, and I mean beg, for the biggest surround speakers you can fit...

Underworld: Awakening
Immortal Beloved
Curious Case of Benjamin Button

My surround speakers(look them up)...

BIC V820(four of them for 7.1. Actually doing 9.1 with height. The heights are V62)
DCM TF350
Infinity Crescendo 3007(part of my office system with 4 3007 and a homemade "3006 re-fitted to be a TV stand")

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Theyre overkill if you plan on doing a standard 80 Hz crossover. However for all channel stereo processing, like you might use with music where full range is sent to the surround channels, the 163 would be of benefit.

I think 12" is standard, Im not sure if there are drawbacks or benefits to a 15". As for placement I think youll have to experiment and see what sounds best in your room. Google sub crawl for different methods of determining the best locations. Corners reinforce bass so placing a sub in corners will give you a boost.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now that I see your diagram...

Move your couch off the wall. Put it "up against" your coffee table...then move your coffee table. You should, ideally, have enough room off the back wall to comfortably walk around the couch. That is if you want proper speaker/seating distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks