Speakers around the $4500 range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anny Chien, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

Looking for some speakers from 2000-4500 range. So far I've considered

Silverline Audio sonatina mk2
    ProAc response 2.5
    Audio Physic Virgo 2 or 3
    B&W N804
    Newform Research 65
    Sonus faber amator 3
    Sonus faber grand pianos
    Revel F30
    Merlin TSM-SE

So far, since silverline audio is near me I can get a better deal. The B&Ws high end was a little bright, but love the midrange, Newform Reasearch sounded alright but the build quality was medicore, Sonus grand piano sounded very neutral, Revel F30s which sounds similar to N804s but better, haven't listened to the audio physics, proac, Merlin, amator. What other speakers should I add to the list?

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about the pricing in the States, but consider also the Dynaudio Contour line, namely the Countour 3.0's and even better (if you don't need ultimate bass extension or don't mind standmounts) the Countour 1.3SE's. Sell for around US$2.5K where I live and really excellent sound quality. Also some Thiel's, Martin Logan's and Magneplanar 3.6's. Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near Australia, then consider also VAF Signature series, Whatmough Signature, Osbourne, Ambience Ribbons and Duntech. Really, it depends on your room size, other ancillary equipment and listening tastes.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. Salvatore Restivo

You might also like to give the Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods a try. And JMlab dealers are doing some aggressive pricing on the Utopia line since the manufacturer is coming out with some new models soon. A pair of their stand-mounters might be in your range.

Personally, I'd be very interested in the Sonus Faber Electa Amator. Those are gorgeous speakers in every way. I just heard a pair a couple of weeks ago.

4. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Lots of fine speakers in this range. Myself, I'd want to listen to ACI Talismans. Very cool.

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Try and listen to Martin Logan, Thiel, Totem and Energy Veritas too.

6. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Two more I would consider.
    1) JM Lab Electra 926 (retail $4000)
    2) JM Lab Mini Utopia (retail $5000, on special for $4000)
    www.focal-jmlab.fr
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'll third the thiel speakers. the cs2.3 are in your price range. if you decide to purchase used, i've seen the cs6 at the top end of your price range as well. happy hunting!

kevin t

8. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

you might look at Legacy Audio, they make some very nice speakers, the signature III 5-way is nice also the classic is another, you might even look at the Paradigm studio100 a nice speaker that is in your price range and have some money left over for a center and sub

9. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Want serious accuracy?? Why not look into a pair of Genelecs w/ matching sub. This is what professional engineers mix on. What better way to hear the music?

10. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

What kind of speaker are you looking?
    List some attributes that are of prime importance to you.

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

my taste B&W, Revel, theil

12. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I'm getting a pair of VMPS RM40s in a week and I can't imagine any other speakers, in this price range that might sound better from top to bottom.
    These replace a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs (just sold)that were excellent, but not in the same league.
    Only problem might be size, since they are 66" high.
    These might be considered against $20,000 to $30,000 speaker systems and picked more often than not.
    List to $4600 but street for slightly less.
    Check out some owners discussion here:
    http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...forum.php?f=22
    Regards,
    John

13. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I have to say B&W. Also check out Martin Logan and Magnepan. Up until last night I would have said Thiel. I briefly auditioned a pair of 1.6s couple of months ago and really liked them. Yesterday after work, I arranged to bring a pair home for the weekend. I found that I just had to turn them off after about half an hour. They present a fantastic image, great soundstaging, very revealing, but I just found them to fatigue my ears. I could never see myself being able to relax while listening to them. My wife had to leave the room they bothered her so much. I'll be sticking with my Maggies for now.

14. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

alex:

not that it's my place to defend the thiel's but i'm suprised by your comments. were the 1.6's fully broken in? i demoed the 1.6 and the 2.3 and the 2.3 definitely bettered the 1.6 in my opinion. i know many people say that thiels are very revealing and can be harsh. i did not encounter this in my demo and it was using adcom amp / pre / and the sony scd-ce775 changer.

kevin t

15. george king

george king Supporting Actor

You might want to try the new Kef Reference 203's or the Soliloquy 6.3. Both are very nice speakers. Another option might be the AAD 2001 bookshelf at $3.5k.

Hope this helps.

16. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I was surprised myself. After the first time I'd listened to them I was sure they would be my next pair of speakers. The ones I brought home were broken in, the dealer I borrowed them from brought them in for evaluation as another possible line. The owner broke them in before doing his evaluation.

I should note that there was a big difference in the equipment used and component synergy may well play a big role. When I first auditioned them at the dealer they were being powered by a McIntosh preamp and power amp (C42 and MC 202) and a Sony ES CD player, I don't remember which model. My system consists of Adcom preamp and power amp and a Rega Planet CD player.

If I could afford to run out and drop $10k for everything at once I'd do it. Unfortunately, I need speakers that I can live with using my existing electronics until I can upgrade them as well.

The 2.3s are really a completely different speaker than the 1.6s. I would expect the combined tweeter and midrange of the 2.3 to give a much different sound than the tweeter in the 1.6.

Anyhow, I can appreciate that the 1.6s are a very good, revealing speaker. They're just not the right speaker for me.

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit