Speakers around $700

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chun Lam, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

Been lurking in this forum for awhile now, reading, learning - you guys are great.

I'm looking to get my first set of HT speakers (5.1) between the $699 to $1000 range. I'm looking for small satellite type sets since I'm in an apartment and my living room is approx 12x13. I've listened to the Definitive ProCinema 60s at a friend's and thought they sounded pretty good.

Now, I know that speakers are highly subjective, but what other speakers should I be considering in that price range? The Athena Point 5 MKII's are also in that price range but I haven't heard those personally.

As for receivers, I read the thread regarding the Denon 1804 vs the Onkyo 501 and am leaning towards the Denon (mainly because it's 6.1 vs. 5.1.)

Thanks for your insight.

2. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chun,

I own the Polk Audio RM6700 system and highly recommend it in the under $1,000 price range. Like you, I needed to go with small satellites and to my ears, the Polks had the nicest sound of the systems I auditioned (Infinity, Def Tech, Bose, Sony, Energy Take 5.2). You can find a great review of the Polk RM6700 at http://reviews.cnet.com/Polk_Audio_R...tml?tag=review A lot of Polk dealers have this set-up on sale right now as part of a Polk-sponsored promotion at $599.00 with a free sub included.

Others to consider are the new Hsu Research Ventriloquist sub/sat package at http://www.hsuresearch.com and Brian Rutledge's RAD Micro sub/sat package at http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/micros.html Brian's RAD Micros get very good reviews here at HTF and the package deal he's got going on them right now looks awfully hard to beat -- and they're gorgeous too -- bonus! I would have seriously considered the RAD Micro package had it been available at the time I bought my Polks last year.

I've heard the Athenas you mentioned at Best Buy, but the place was so damn noisy I really couldn't get much of a feel for them, though they have been well reviewed. A nice thing about the Athenas is that each speaker includes a pretty slick wallmount bracket.

Good luck in your search and enjoy your auditions,

Debbie

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

4. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
  5. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

I love my JBL S26II's, these might be a bit large for you but they have a 6" driver so they will have alot better mids and bass than smaller satelites. Using Phil's Home Depot hardware they mount easlily on walls for your back surrounds.

OneCall.com has them on clearance for $144.00 per pair plus shipping. I think the two pairs I ordered came to $334.00 with shipping.

I used Sanus "Steel Foundation" SF22b stands 22" that I got from Electroshops.com for $155 shipped. These are awesome built stands and the top plate is almost perfectly sized for the JBL S26. (height was perfect to as my tweeters are at 36")

The matching S-CenterI or II is a bit harder to find but can still be had for around $150 on eBay and other places such as the for sale forum here. There is even a thread on this forum that looks to have a couple.

Your total including the great Sanus stands would be right at $639. You could do what I did and add a Dayton 10" 100w sub for $125 and be under $800 for the entire package.
    If your budget will allow I'd reccomend one of the SVS subs, the Dayton is awesome for the price but I plan on getting an SVS eventually.

The JBL S26 speakers have been around a few years but for the money I think they are very hard to beat. After calibration I'm extremely happy with my setup.

Good Luck.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ll second Wayne’s suggestion (I have heard this system) and mention that AV123 will package their ELT system with a Denon 1804 for $1,250 ($900 for the speakers alone).