speakers and tough decisions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by matt_matocha, Jul 25, 2004.

1. matt_matocha

matt_matocha Extra

Hey guys first want to say that im new here although ive been reading for quite some time now and ive picked up a lot from hanging out. So now for my question. Im on a quest to pick up some new speakers and i love the b&w 600 series. Theyre my number 1 pick but theyre a bit steep at this point in time. So i was thinking of picking up the fluance sx-htb to temporily make me happy. Im replacing some speakers from the 70's so they would definately be a step up and i've heard good things bout them. Then i was also thinking about just picking up the 602s, maybe the lcr600 and then later adding the 603's for mains. While i'd just like to buy the b&w's to save that extra step, my cash flow at this point in time is not up to par. Still in school and will only make bout 5000 this year so thats making my decision tough. I was hoping you guys could give me your thoughts and hopefully make my decision a little easier. They would be powered off a hk325 and used more for movies but also for music. Thanks alot

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Stay in school and use your money wisely. Pay off any debts before spending more money on extravangances like speakers. The Fluance will do you nicely until you can afford better speakers. And in the meantime, search for better alternatives for your money than B&W, like Rockets, Axioms, HTD, Ascend, etc.

3. matt_matocha

matt_matocha Extra

isnt axiom internet only?? theyre on my list of still to check out. Im in grad school and am working as a graduate assistant so i get paid plus i dont have to pay for school..so my next couple pay checks ive set aside for speakers. thanks for the reply

4. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

I would buy something else apart from B&W, the 6xx range isn't that great sounding IMO (I own 601 & CC6, which are now unused, moved to other "better" speakers)

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

If you don't have any debts coming out of school, then that's fantastic. It's great to have extra cash for an entertainment system.

All the speaker companies I mentioned are internet-direct. Hence you get better speakers for your money.

6. matt_matocha

matt_matocha Extra

how does psb match up with the bunch. Anybody know their pricing.. I cant find anything. Specifically the image line.

7. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I used to own a pair of Image 6Ts, bought for about $800. I've since replaced them with the Rocket RS550s (as well as a rocket center, RSC200, and rear surrounds, RS250s). The 6ts are really nice, but the rockets equal or beat them in every way. The highs of the 6Ts became bothersome to my ears after extended listening at high volumes, otherwise, I loved those speakers. Here's a site that sells the 6Ts at a discounted price: http://www.yawaonline.com/imageseries.html

I've not heard or seen the new version of the 6Ts, so I can't comment. The site above sells the Image T65s for $1100. You'll have to visit their site to checkout the closest dealer in your area and go demo there.