Speakers and Toddlers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scot_salmon, Jun 25, 2002.

1. scot_salmon

scot_salmon Agent

I am a new father. My first child was born in Jan. and she is now 5 months old and getting more mobile every day! Hence my question.
    I have a home theater setup that includes Magnepans in the front L/R and center. As soon as my baby is crawling I'm sure she'll head straight for the L/R's (the center is in a cabinet above the TV). How have other people in this situation handled the potential problem???
    I know that the ribbons are extremely fragile and I'm afraid that one smack of a slobber-covered hand will do them in. Not to mention the potential safety hazard they pose since they aren't exactly rock solid on their base. I wouldn't want them to fall on the baby (I am worried about the baby not just the speakers[​IMG].
    Should I get something that can be mounted and secured on the walls? This would entail replacing all 3 front speakers to keep the continuity. Any other ideas?
    Just so you'll know, I use the entire setup for almost exclusively home theater (so the front L/R only deal with that source material, i.e. the center gets most of the action) and hardly ever use it for strict music (stereo) listening. Also, there is no way to simply keep her out of the room, so that's not an option.
    Lastly, I'm in the market for a new display as well. My 35" Zenith Inteq just blew up [​IMG]. If I were to go with a RPTV, is that another potential problem with the baby (toddler)? Are the protective screens protective enough, are they cleanable and easy to clean, and are they expensive to replace? Since I'm watching mostly sat. TV, I'm leaning toward 4:3 HD capable. Should I just stick with a tube until the child is old enough not to mess with the screen?
    Anyway, this has rambled on long enough. Surely several of you have gone through a similar situation. Please give me your comments. Thanks so much.
    Scot

2. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if I can help but I saw a pair of Maggies for sale on ebay. The owner had pictures showing them with homemade tubular steel hangers that bolted to the rear wall. They were long enough to keep the proper distance from the rear wall and high enough off the floor to keep hands clear. At least for the first few years of growth!

3. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

I had maggies that three boys grew up around... they never touched them... sometimes I would just slide them back to keep them out of the way.

As for an RPTV, I think they are more stable than a lot of tube sets. Having said that... I would take a front projector any day both for size and avoiding that big RPTV box between my maggies...

M.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What is the size of your front 3?

I have 3 boys, all gorwn beyond that point now but I had bookshelf speakers that were secured to 32" stands, that were screwed into the floor.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

neil joseph

how did you screw the thing into the floor? did you drill the floor first? of did you need the help of somebody from an audio store to do that? i have an ultra active one year old at home.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I had the very same problem not too long ago. I secured the kid to the floor and he never touched the speakers once. Actually, I was lucky enough the my father-in-law agreed to swap speakers for a couple of years until our son learned how to walk. I don't imagine you might have that possibility? It worked out great for us as he has a pair of B&W Matrix 3, the predecessor to the 803.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    All I did wa drill holes in the speaker stands, then I drileld the screw through the speaker stand hole and into the carpeted floor. When removed, it does not even show the hole.

8. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Does anyone feel that maybe towers will be a little more stable around toddlers than bookshelves on stands? I am trying to decide between the axiom M22 and the M40. The M22 seems awful big to put on stands. I don't have the option of drilling into the floor so I figure the towers, although larger, would be a bit more stable.

Jason

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor