speakers and timbre matching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Jun 6, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Most concepts of home theater speakers insist that speakers
    in a good system should be 'timbre matched.' Meaning
    the tonality of the speakers should be identical. Even
    THX includes circuitry in some receivers, etc, that attempt
    to do this. What I'm wondering is this; Since the hearing of a person is different when the sound comes from
    front, back and sides, wouldn't it make sense that if we
    wanted speakers to sound the same as each other, they'd
    have to be very different from each other in order to
    compensate for human hearing particulars? In other words,
    our centre, left-right fronts, side surrounds and rear
    surrounds would be radically different in order to maintain
    the same tonality to us?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Thats getting pretty heavy there Richard. I see what you are saying and I would probably agree in the truest sense but I would imagine that whoever mixes the sound keeps this in mind. Interesting thought. Maybe somebody has a scientific answer they can throw at us to confuse me a little. [​IMG]

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

The only thing I might add would be that if one did use different speakers, they may want to pay particular attention to the speaker effeciency so as not to have one pair simply over power another pair.

In my set-up using an Onkyo TX-DX 797, if I adjust the mains down dramatically (Klipsch klf-20's) then they do not get as full of a responce. I do not know if this is "part of the game", receiver quality (Denon 5800 on layaway), or the Klipsch speakers.

Phil

4. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

My .02...

I believe timbre-matched to mean all speakers should sound the same - not be heard the same. My voice coming out of a speaker should sound the same coming out of every speaker regardless of location. Then based on the listeners location and orientation the differences in sound are what completes the localization of a sound from the desired direction.

I think if our brain heard a voice coming from in back but doctored to sound like it would from the front - this would create a confusing or false-sounding recognition....

wyatt

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Richard,

I think this was a concern with the original THX spec that called for dipole speakers in the rear.